Chapter 38: The Caged and The Freed

After the failure to seize control of the Fire Nation capital during the eclipse, they initiated a retreat to the shores. However, the new war balloons of the Fire Nation army were much faster than they had anticipated. They lost the subs they had come in, leaving them trapped on the harbour. The only means of escape they have left was Appa.

With a slightly heavy heart, the adults sent off the children to safety, surrendering themselves as war prisoners. They fled away from the Fire Nation and retreated to the safety of the Western Air Temple.

"It's so different from the Northern Air Temple." Teo mused as he looked around with unmasked curiosity. "I wonder if there are any secret rooms..."

Haru was curious as well and ran ahead. "Let's go check it out!"

Aang was about to follow them but was stopped by Katara using the airbender's own glider to block his path. "You guys go," she called to the others. "I think we need to talk about some things."

"Why can't I go?"

"We need to decide what we're gonna do now, and since you're the Avatar, maybe you should be a part of this."

He joined the rest of the group with a huff and sat down on a fallen slab of rock. "Fair enough. So what's the plan?"

Sokka scratched his chin. "Well if you ask me, the new plan is the old plan. You just need to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before the comet comes!"

"Oh yeah, that's great, no problem. I'll just do that." Sarcasm was heavy in Aang's tone as he distracted himself with a pebble, refusing to meet anyone's eyes.

"Aang, no one said it's gonna be easy."

He felt tired and frustrated. "Well, it's not gonna even be possible! Where am I supposed to get a firebending teacher?"

 "Well, it's not gonna even be possible! Where am I supposed to get a firebending teacher?"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Hello, Zuko here! Uh, but I guess you probably already know me... sort of... Uh... so, the thing is... I have a lot of firebending experience, and I'm considered to be pretty good at it. We'll you've seen me... you know... when I was attacking you? Uh, yeah, I guess I should apologize for that... B-but anyway, I'm good now. I mean, I thought I was good before, but now I realize I was bad. But anyway, I think it's time I joined your group and taught the Avatar firebending."

The badgerfrog looked at him with unblinking eyes.

"Well?! What's your answer?"

It croaked once before jumping on his head and leaping away.

Zuko sighed in defeat. "Yeah, that's what I'd say too." The former prince was never really one to make friends with anyone. It was always either, as subjects or as enemies. The awkwardness made him cringe at himself, but he knew he had to find a way to join the Avatar's group. It might be the only way they could defeat the Fire Lord. But they would probably think that he was lying and attack him.