Chapter 53: Catching Up and Breaking Down

"So you mean to say that the 'lady friend' you wanted to bring to the teashop was Chiyo?" Iroh asked as he took a sip of his morning tea. "How fate truly played us!"

Kai nodded then looked at her with a smile. "She had been working so hard at the eatery, and when you offered the chance to grab some tea, I wanted her to be with me. We were about to go that evening, but a fight broke out between some guy and Lee, er... Zuko."

"Ah, yes." He set down his tea. "I must apologize for that scene. Though the young man spoke the truth, we had to conceal our identities as firebenders. We meant no harm to the people, as my nephew and I intended to start a new life in Ba Sing Se."

"No worries, Sir. I understand. Speaking of this new life... How's Jin doing by the way?" Kai directed his question at Zuko as he broke a piece of bread and handed half to Chiyo. "Last I heard was that you two were a couple."

The prince glared daggers at him and placed an arm around Chiyo as she ate. "We shared a meal at the eatery. That's all."

"Really? And while you were eating there, you didn't see Lily? At all?"

"I was distracted." He growled under his breath. "And her name is Chiyo, not Lily!"

Kai raised a brow at him. "I remember Lily telling me over dinner at our apartment that you gave her a huge tip for your dinner date, didn't you?"

Chiyo sensed that he was baiting Zuko so she tried to chime in, "Yes, but it wasn't—"

"You two shared an apartment?!"

"Zuko, that was all we could afford—"

"Yes, we lived in the apartment together. We ate, we bathe, we slept, in one apartment. Together."

"Kai, stop it!" She snapped at him, getting more and more uncomfortable each passing second as she felt Zuko's grip on her waist tightening.

He raised his arms in mock surrender. "I'm just stating facts, Lily. I didn't even mention the fact that we kissed once—"

"WHAT?!" Zuko stood up, having had enough. In his hand, a flame formed itself into a dagger and he was ready to lunge at Kai.

"ENOUGH!" Chiyo stopped him with a hand on his arm, while looking at Kai with pleading eyes. "Please, stop it!"

Zuko took deep breaths to calm himself and as he sat down, he pulled Chiyo to him and mumbled. "He started it."

"That's not the point! We have to focus on the situation right now." Chiyo looked to Uncle Iroh, hoping he could help her change the atmosphere of their breakfast. "Today's the arrival of Sozin's Comet. Our last shot. Uncle Iroh, you need to come with us."

"The young apprentice is right... about focusing on the situation. However, Ozai is not for me to defeat. It won't turn out well."

"But you can beat him! And we'll be there to help!" Zuko gestured to everyone in their circle.

Uncle Iroh shook his head. "Even if I did defeat Ozai, and I don't know that I could, it will be the wrong way to end the war." He continued as he saw the teenagers' confused expressions. "History will see it as just more senseless violence, a brother killing a brother to grab power. The only way for this war to end peacefully is for the Avatar to defeat the Fire Lord."

"And then would you come and take your rightful place on the throne?" His nephew looked at him, eager to right his father's wrongdoing towards his uncle years ago.