Chapter 10: The Departure of the Banished Prince

Zuko never got to speak to Chiyo again after his birthday. He could not forget the look of fear in her eyes as she cowered before him. 'What was I thinking? Oh, that's right. I wasn't!' How could she ever forgive him? How could he ever forgive himself?

It had been weeks since the incident in her room. Whenever he tried to go and apologize, either Suiren or the handmaidens will tell him to leave. It got to the point that the Lady Suiren had doubled the guards in the wing and instructed them to keep the Fire Nation prince out, much to his chagrin.

He comforted himself with the fact that she had gotten better from her illness, thanks to the help of his Uncle Iroh. She had gone back to training when she was well enough. Zuko would get up in the earliest hours of the morning just to watch her from the window of his room, waiting for her to look up and meet his eyes, but she never did. Some mornings, he would decide to come down to the gardens to see her, but by the time he got there, she was gone.

'Will I ever get the chance to say that I'm sorry?'

Suiren was busy with paperwork in her desk. News of her apprentice's recovery spread like wildfire all over the nation and a lot of people, especially nobles, have put in their request to have Chiyo perform in their banquets, birthdays, and other ceremonies alike.

She stared at the mountain of scrolls on her desk, as well as those spread on her bed, sighing heavily. She was happy that her ward is finally getting the recognition she deserves, but she never imagined it would be to this degree.

All of the Fire Nation wants an audience with Chiyo. And from here on out, the rest will be history.

Ai entered Suiren's study and bowed. "My lady, you called for me?"

"Has the Fire Lord requested my presence?"

The handmaiden shook her head. "No, my lady. I heard he will host a war meeting today with the generals and the advisers."

Suiren pursed her lips. It was one of those rare days that Fire Lord Ozai left her alone. It must be a very important meeting. Nonetheless, she smiled and thanked Ai, returning to her work on Chiyo's schedule.

 Nonetheless, she smiled and thanked Ai, returning to her work on Chiyo's schedule