Chapter 37: The Day of Black Sun

"Prince Zuko!" He whipped his head around, following the sound of her voice, looking desperately for her. "Prince Zuko!"

"Chiyo! Where are you?!"

Slender fingers covered his eyes. He turned sharply and came face to face with the apprentice. She was looking up at him with that devastating smile of hers, the very same one that had captured him so long ago. The red amber of her eyes shone brightly as she laughed. "Prince Zuko!"

The prince didn't hesitate at all as he pulled her into his arms into a tight, almost crushing hug. She was here. He couldn't stop the tears that fell freely as he held her close. "Chiyo... I'm so confused. I'm so scared."

"You do know what you have to do, don't you?"

He shook his head and buried his face into her thick, dark locks. "I don't..." He felt her hand rub his back comfortingly. Was he already in heaven?

"I know that you know... You're just afraid to face it."

All he could do was nod his head and keep holding her. Nothing else mattered at that moment. His Chiyo was here, and he was never letting her go.

"You have to be strong, Prince Zuko."She pulled away from him and touched his cheek, wiping away his tears. He leaned in to her soft touch, his eyes sliding closed. "I'm with you every step of the way."

            He gasped as he was startled awake, breathing heavily

He gasped as he was startled awake, breathing heavily. The dream felt so real to him. He brought his hand up to the cheek that she had touched, surprised to feel the wetness of his tears.

"Chiyo..." He whispered into the darkness of his room, but the only reply was the sound of his own breathing.

It was almost sunrise. They had been instructed to go into the underground chambers of the palace and stay for the entire duration of the eclipse.

"You do know what you have to do, don't you?" Her message rang clear in his mind.

"Evil and good are always at war inside you, Zuko. It is your nature, your legacy." Uncle Iroh's words haunted him. "What happened generations ago can be resolved now, by you. You alone can cleanse the sins of our family, and the Fire Nation."

He could remain here as the Crown Prince of the Fire Nation, and watch as his father destroys the Earth Kingdom and builds his empire. He could stay and have the glory of certain triumph by his side.

Or he could do the right thing and turn away the ideals and visions of his father that now sicken him to the core. He would risk his ruin, he would risk it all, for the slim chance that he could make things right.

The prince felt so conflicted.

"You have to be strong, Prince Zuko. I'm with you every step of the way."