Chapter 16: Trials

The woman now named Lily had physically recovered greatly thanks to the help of Aila, Kai and Yona. Even the young boy, Hachi, comes over the house and watches over her once in a while. She ran her fingers through her now short cropped hair.

            "I'm afraid we're gonna have to cut off your hair, Lily

"I'm afraid we're gonna have to cut off your hair, Lily..." Aila muttered sadly. She had tried her best to comb out the tangles and knots, going so far as to putting oil and grease in hopes of detangling it. "It's such a shame... you have grown it to such length, too!"

"It's alright... Hair always grows back, right?" Lily said kindly, holding Aila's hand. "I never got to thank you for all trouble you went through to help me, even if I am a stranger to you..."

The woman smiled kindly at Lily. "A stranger is a friend you just haven't met yet." She took the blade in her hands, sharpening it with a whetstone. "You ready, Lily?"

"As I'll ever be." She smiled and closed her eyes as Aila carefully ran the blade through her hair. The bulk of the tangled mess fell to the floor and instantly Lily felt light. A huge weight literally fell of her shoulders.

Maybe this was a sign of a new beginning for her.

            Lily giggled as Yona paced around the front yard, deep in thought

Lily giggled as Yona paced around the front yard, deep in thought. Kai sat under the mahogany tree, resting after the morning deliveries to the market.

"Alright! Now that we have solved the mystery of your name, I think it's time we figure out what you used to do for a living." Yona pushed her light brown hair back into a tight ponytail, her expression meaning nothing but business.

Lily thought hard, trying to remember something, anything but to no avail. It's like her entire memory was wiped clean.

"I think we should rule out slave, because you were dressed so fancy and you have all those nice rings on your fingers... But we should still give it a try! Here!" Yona handed her a broom. "All you have to do is sweep all these fallen leaves into a pile right here." She pointed to a spot under the tree. "Got it?"

"Didn't mom ask you to do that, Yona?" Kai called her out, an eyebrow raised.

"Two birds with one stone!" The child said simply and turned back to give the broom to Lily.