Chapter 23: Tales of Ba Sing Se (Part 1)

The Tale of Iroh

It was that day of the year again.

He had asked permission from the shop owner to have a day-off which the latter reluctantly gave. He left his nephew to rest in the apartment and took a stroll through the market. In one of the stalls, he saw a beautiful woven basket made from abaca.

"If this is for a romantic picnic, may I suggest this lavender one?" The craftsman held up an equally beautiful basket painted with beautiful lavenders.

It surely is attracting and pleasing to the eye. "No, it's not a romantic picnic," Iroh smiled. "But it is a special occasion." He handed the craftsman two silver coins for the first basket and thanked him with a bow.

On his way out of the shop, he saw a vase with a single moon flower, its petals closed as if avoiding the harsh sun. He gently nudged the vase out of the sun and into the shade of the shop. "The moon flower likes partial shade." On cue, the beautiful flower opened up, blooming beautifully.

He walked further into the streets, looking at various items displayed by merchants. He stopped when he saw a young boy crying, his mother by his side, in the middle of the street. She tried everything to appease the toddler, yet he continued to sob. "It's okay..." The mother gently cooed.

Iroh turned to his right and asked the owner if he could borrow the liuqin on the display. The owner agreed and watched on as Iroh tuned the instrument before strumming it slowly.

Leaves from the vine,

Falling so slow

Like fragile, tiny shells

Drifting in the foam

He approached the young boy as he sang. Tears streamed still from the young boy's eyes, but he had somehow calmed down. He looked up at the old man, gripping his earth kingdom soldier doll tight in his little hand.

Little soldier boy

Come marching home

Brave soldier boy

Comes marching home

Iroh stooped down to see the boy eye to eye, and finally the young boy smiled. He reached for Iroh's long white beard and tugged, earning a startled yelp from the old man. The boy laughed at him.

The boy's mother thanked Iroh and tugged the young boy to resume their travel. Before leaving, the young boy looked back and waved at the old man.

He passed an alleyway where young kids were gathered, playing soccer. He was surprised to see them using earthbending techniques to pass around the ball with such fast momentum. One particular pass was offset by a jagged edge, sending the ball crashing through the window of a house. "HEY!"

Iroh approached the children. "It is usually best to admit mistakes when they occur." He lectured the children who had gathered behind him. "And to seek to restore honor."

Suddenly the earth beneath their feet shook and a huge face peeked through the broken window. "When I'm through with you kids, the window won't be the only thing that's broken!"

"But not this time...RUN!" He and the kids went separate ways, running as fast as they could away from the alley.

He turned sharply on a corner, breathing heavily and snuck a peak to see if he was followed.