Chapter 30: All Was Well

In welcoming the Kyoshi Warriors, the Earth King stood at a dais raised at the base of the palace steps, his royal guard lined in formation along the stone path. "In our hour of need, it is with the highest honor that I welcome our esteemed allies, the Kyoshi Warriors!" He raised his arms openly, a gesture to show his openness to help the efforts in ending the Hundred Year War.

Donned in their famed uniform and armor, as well as the traditional face paint, the three warriors knelt gracefully on the ground, bowing deeply before the Earth King. "We are the Earth King's humble servants." Their leader looked up at the king, her golden eyes blazing with determination.

            He was an expert, a true master in the art of brewing tea, but that was the extent of his skills in the kitchen

He was an expert, a true master in the art of brewing tea, but that was the extent of his skills in the kitchen. Iroh struggled with stirring the congee in the pot as he looked at it with worry. "It looks more like rice glue than jook..."

"What's that smell?" Zuko yawned as he approached his busy uncle. He had finally gotten out of bed after a few days of rest and he felt so much better, lighter even. It was the first time in a while that he had felt so... good.

"It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it—"

The prince had come closer and he stepped aside. He inhaled deeply, feeling the warm steam coming off the pot hit his face. "Actually, it smells delicious!" He grabbed a bowl and looked to his uncle with a smile. "I'd love a bowl, uncle!"

Iroh blinked twice, suspicion arising from within. But nonetheless, he scooped a ladle full of jook into Zuko's bowl. "Now that your fever is gone, you seem... different... somehow."

"It's a new day!" Zuko thanked his uncle and looked around the kitchen of their residence. "We got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop!" He sat at the table and slowly ate his jook. "Things are looking up, uncle!"

He couldn't help the unnerving suspicion that he felt, but he pushed it far to the back of his mind and smiled at his nephew. He wondered whether this new found optimism of his was the result of his so called metamorphosis. 

"This is the happiest he's been in three years... I'm glad he finally found his peace here."