Chapter 51: The Beginning of the End

Zuko woke up before the sun had risen upon them. They both had fallen asleep on the shore, neither of them minding the coarse grains of the sand beneath them, nor the spray of the salty sea at their feet.

He stared at her as she slept, finding his breath taken away as he pondered how heartrendingly beautiful she looked at that moment, sleeping next to him. Lightly as to not wake her, he tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

"I'm never letting you go, Chiyo. Now that fate has brought us back together, I'll make up for all the time lost between us."

Her eyes fluttered open, unfocused at first; but once she saw the golden pools of his eyes staring into her, blood rushed to her cheeks and she looked away. "G-good m-m-morning, Prince Zuko."

"Good morning. Slept well?"

She sat up quickly and nodded. "Y-yes...We...we should h-head back—"

"Watch the sunrise with me." Zuko held her hand to stop her from getting up. "Please."

Chiyo couldn't find the will in herself to resist him as he looked up at her with those eyes. He sat up as well, wrapping an arm around her to keep her warm.

Only the sound of waves gently crashing against the shore could be heard through the early hours of light. After a couple of minutes the sun began to peek from the horizon where the sky met the sea.

"Every day for three years, I would look at the sun rise, but it has never been this beautiful." Zuko whispered as he breathed deeply.

"What changed?"

"A lot of things. I'm now fighting on the right side of this war. I'm stronger and freer than I've ever been in my entire life." He took her chin in his fingertips and lifted it lightly. He leaned in. "And now, you're right here by my side."

He gave her a chaste kiss on the lips, smirking when he saw her lean in for more. "Shouldn't we be heading back?"

Chiyo growled, frustrated and embarrassed. She got up on her feet, dusting off her pants. "Tease..." She muttered under her breath before heading back to the villa.

And like the love-sick fool he was, he followed her. "Hey, wait up! You promised you'd stay by my side!"

"Go hug and kiss a cactus!"

Zuko caught her arm and spun her back to him. "Why would I kiss a cactus when kissing you is a thousand times better?" His hand went to the back of her neck as he pulled her in and kissed her deeply. She wanted to fight it, but seconds later, she was kissing him back just as passionately.

She was lost in his spell, as he was in hers.

They were broken out of their bubble as they heard someone clearing their throat from behind them. "Uh, if you two love birds are done pecking and giving me the oogies, we're all getting ready to leave. So... uh... see ya?"

Chiyo literally had to restrain Zuko's hands to stop him from firebending and setting Sokka's behind on fire.