Chapter 27: Tales of Ba Sing Se (Part 5)

The Tale of Lily and Reiko

"Lily dear, are you trying to scrub the table raw?" Lady Reiko chuckled as she watched the young woman clean the table with a furrowed brow.

"O-Oh." She looked down at the already clean table, pocketing the rag. "I'm sorry, Lady Reiko..."

"Something seems to be on your mind..." She approached her. "Let me guess... boy trouble?"

Lily choked and looked at the lady with wide eyes. "N-no! No! What boy trouble? Not at all!" She cringed at herself and turned away to check for other tables that need cleaning.

That was all the answer that the lady needed. "Amon? Aron?" The twins set down the plates they were holding and ran to the lady. "I have an errand to run and I need Lily. Will you two be okay handling the eatery?"

"Of course, my Lady!" They quipped simultaneously and went back to work.

Reiko approached the young woman and tugged her arm. "Come with me, Lily. We're going shopping!"

            The pair went through all the shops in the clothing district of the market, trying on kimonos and tunics, as well as shoes and accessories

The pair went through all the shops in the clothing district of the market, trying on kimonos and tunics, as well as shoes and accessories. Even through Lily's adamant protests against her, Reiko bought her a new yukata and matching silk shoes.

"Lady Reiko! I can't pay for all these!" She said as she held the shoes in her hands, eyeing them warily.

"Who says you need to pay?" She slid a small sack of coins to the merchant who bowed deeply at her best customer. "Think of it as a bonus for your great performance in the eatery. Now go put them on! I want to see what you look like in them!"

Lily was led to the back room by the merchant and Reiko checked out the available accessories while waiting. After a few minutes, Lily came out, smoothing out the front of her yukata.

The soft, baby pink fabric of the yukata complemented Lily's blushing cheeks, bringing out her natural youthful beauty. The white obi around her waist was embroidered with small pink flowers and light green vines. The pink and red silk shoes fit Lily perfectly and Reiko smiled. "You look beautiful, Lily... let me fix your hair..."

The young woman was asked to sit down in front of the mirror and the lady gently brushed her short dark hair. Lily looked at the lady and wondered why she had a thoughtful expression on her face. "Are you okay, Lady Reiko?"

She chuckled and nodded lightly. "Yes... It's just that you remind me so much of my younger sister. I used to brush her hair like this all the time." She took two pins with quartz shaped like cherry blossoms and places them on either side of Lily's hair to keep it away from her face. "Perfect." She smiled widely.