Chapter 40: Help from the Past (Part 2)

That evening, her soiled bandages were replaced and medicine was applied. She felt a bit better after her nap, but she was still a bit weak and sore.

After tending to the apprentice, Maya left early because she was assigned for patrol duty. Chiyo was left all alone once more in the darkness. "A lesson from the past..." She whispered to the dark, silent room and stood up.

She searched her hazy, scattered memories for anything that might help her.

            "Alright, Chiyo

"Alright, Chiyo." A boy her age put both his hands on her shoulders and pushed them down gently. "Lower your stance into a squat and take deep breaths."

She did as she was told, breathing in the crisp air of spring and breathing it out slowly.

"Great! Now as you release your breath, focus your chi on your fists and punch!" The boy demonstrated the move by her side. As he punched the air, a burst of fire was shot out of thin air from his fist. She stared in awe and wondered if she would be able to do it as well.

She took a couple more breaths and tried to punch, but no fire was created. No matter how many times she tried, it only led to her disappointment. She kicked the grass beneath her feet and laid back down in frustration.

"Come on, Chiyo! You can do it! I know you can!"The boy sat beside her with playful smile on his lips. "You're the most talented person I know, and we've only just started!"

"I can't! I'm not a firebender like you guys are!" She pouted and turned to lay on her side, facing away from him.

She felt his hands take hold of her arms and pull her up to stand. The action brought a light blush to color her cheeks as he spun her around to face him. "You can't give up that easily. That's not the Chiyo I know." His golden eyes shone with mirth as he looked at her.

He spent the rest of the afternoon showing her the basic movements of firebending. The more she studied them, the more she realized that it was an undeniable combination of the ancient martial arts. She saw the fighting styles of the Northern Shaolin monks, the techniques of the Tao's Southern Dragon, as well as the disciplines of Xinyiquan.