3.4 "Carry On My Wayward Son"

Night. At the theater.

Another girl had gone missing. Great.

Dean walked to me and Sam "i checked with the principal. There's nothing on the surveillance tapes. What do the cops think?"

Sam "the only clue they found was by the Dumpster"

He showed him a photo "they found the same flower near Mrs. Chandler's cell phone. you recognize it?"

I shook my head.

Dean "no"

Inside.

We walked over to Marie.

Me "hey"

Marie "Let me guess. You guys came here to laugh at me too, right?"

Me "why don't you tell us what happened to your friend?"

Marie "Maggie quit the show. She was trying to get us shut down, and so we were fighting. Then she left, and i heard her scream. so i ran outside to help. And--and i saw a scarecrow. it looked just like the one from our show, but ...alive"

Me "what then?"

Marie "it wrapped her up in vines and took her behind a Dumpster. And then they were both just gone. So i called the cops, and a bunch of adults just told me i had an overactive imagination. but it's all real. Ghosts, angels. Demons"

Meave "i wanna believe that"

Sam "you should believe. You both should. Because it is all real. And so are we. I'm Sam Winchester. That's Dean. And that's Elena. "

The girls look at each other and started laughing.

Marie "okay, now, look. I'm willing to accept that monsters are real. but those books are works of fiction. "

Meave "and you guys are way too old to be Sam or Dean. and you're not as pretty as Elena was described in the books"

Marie nodded "yeah. "

Maeve "more of a Rufus-Bobby-Ellen combo. Maybe"

Dean "Little Miss Sunshine, we are what the books call hunters"

Meave "FBI hunters?"

Dean nodded "Yes"

Meave "you guys are X-Files"

Sam nodded "Sure. Yeah. You could say that. So this scarecrow in your musical, is it based on the one from the books?"

Marie shook her head "no. I changed it. I got scared of a local legend when i was a kid. There was this old creepy scarecrow on an abandoned farm outside of town. Kids used to say if it caught you, it would take you away"

Dean "if this scarecrow was based off of you version,Ms. Chandler and Maggie might still be alive"

Meave "you think the scarecrow was created by the play?"

Marie "you think it's a Tulpa"

In the school library.

Sam showed us an open book "Tulpas are monsters that are created by intense focused energy on an idea"

Marie "yeah, or a story"

Maeve "Great. how do you kill an idea?"

Marie "well, in Hell House, Sam and Dean burned the house down to take out the Tulpa they hunted. "

Sam looked at Dean who rolled his eyes annoyed.

Dean "yeah. You kill the symbol, you kill the Tulpa. It's actually a pretty good start"