The Box

Next day. night. At the bunker.

I was sitting int he control room. 

Dean walked over to me "Hey."

Me "Hey. How you feeling?"

Dean "What you reading?"

Me "Uh, going back through the Book of Jubilees. You know, the way they classify angels is – is – it's really interesting."

Dean "Find anything on Michael?"

I shook my head "Not yet, but I... but I... but I just started."

Dean nodded. 

I sighed "We'll find a way."

Dean "baby, I-I-I... I appreciate it, you know, you... trying."

Me "Well, yeah. Of course. I mean, always. You wanna hop in, help out? I got plenty to go through."

Dean asked amused "what? do i look like Sam to you?"

I shot him a look. 

Dean "Actually, I-I – I thought I'd go for a – drive, you know? Just me and Baby, long stretch of road. And figured I'd make it a twofer – I'd go see Mom at, uh, Donna's cabin."

I nodded "Yeah. Yeah, th-that's sounds great. Be good to see 'em. Just let me, uh, find a stopping point and get packed up."

Dean "Uh, actually, I was, uh... was kinda hoping for some one-on-one time with Mom, if that's cool."

I nodded "Ye – uh... sure, yeah. Whatever you need."

Dean walked over to me and hugged me. 

I hugged him back. 

Then he kissed me "I love you, baby, you know i do, right? You're the best thing that's ever happened to me"

I nodded, confused "yeah, i love you too, handsome"

----

Mary"Yeah, he called last night.  Said it was just a supply run, but I'll take any excuse for a visit. Cabin's been a little quiet lately."

Me "Quiet?"

yeah, i was talking to Mary. i would have preferred to not call her. but it's Dean we're talking about here. Sam had gone out on a hunt with Jack which is not the best timing. 

Mary "Yeah, uh, Bobby took off for a few days. It's fine. "

I nodded "yeah."

Mary "Elena?"

Me "Sorry, I'm just – I'm worried, you know? Ever since we locked Michael up, Dean's been acting strange, and he just packed up and left, and then, uh..."

Mary "And what?"

Me "He told me i was the best thing that's ever happened to him"

Mary "That's sweet."

Me "it is. but we don't say that to each other just like that. I mean, w-we do, but only if it's literally the end of the world, you know?"

Mary "Elena, he'll be here soon. I'll look after him. I'll get to the bottom of this."

I nodded "Yeah, alright. M-maybe it's like you said, you know? Maybe he just needs some space, like dad."

Mary "Yeah. Well, and until we know for sure, we have to respect that."

Me "Yeah, you're right. Uh, I-I... thank you"

Then i hung up.