Chapter Seventeen - Shane

Shane’s POV

My throat drastically dried as I read over Kier’s message repeatedly, unable to contain the excitement I felt as I finally processed the words meanings. He was coming back. It didn’t matter that he only left less than a week ago, it felt like years to me, but he was coming back because I asked him to. That had to mean something, right?

Cyrus: Really??

Cyrus: When can you leave?

Cyrus: How long is the flight?

Cyrus: Can I tell Laurence and the others?

Admittedly, I was a little too excited, and it seemed to show.

Kier: Slow down! I need to book flights, find a place to stay, pack and notify my friends of where I’m going so they don’t try to contact me.

I rolled my eyes.

Cyrus: There’s got to be one soon. You can stay with us again and I’m sure you can pack and call your friends at the same time.

Kier: Someone’s eager to see me.

My cheeked felt drastically warmer as I read and reread his message, beginning to slowly suck my lower lip between my teeth while my fingers lingered on the keys of my old, paint splattered keyboard.

Cyrus: I’ve missed you.

I regretted sending those three words as soon as I pressed the enter key, but there was nothing I could do now other than impatiently wait for his reply.

Kier: I’ve missed you too.

I could have squealed as I read Kier’s reply, unable to contain myself as a wide, toothy grin appeared on my lips, my dimples clear on show while I tapped out a reply of my own.

Cyrus: I’m glad

I was going to leave my message at that but I didn’t want the conversation to end.

Cyrus: because otherwise this would have gotten increasingly awkward.

Kier and I ended our conversation a little while later, after I spoken to him about how my day went and he promised to video chat with me tomorrow. He also forced me into promising not to tell anyone about his plans of staying with us once more; he thought it would seem a little rude without taking it up with Laurence before confirming he was going to come back – he didn’t want it to seem as if he was making any assumptions about our hospitality. It was tough; extremely tough. Drew came up to see how I was around thirty minutes after Kier and I spoke and I struggled to sit still in my chair or not let it slip out. I think he was a little suspicious, I’m hardly ever lively or smiling, but I was thankful that he didn’t voice his opinion on the matter.

When I woke up the next morning I felt a sudden surge of happiness through me; something that I haven’t felt in a long, long time. Waking up felt like the right thing to do for once, I wasn’t trapped in the darkness or begging to fall back asleep once more. I actually wanted to do something with my day, not beg for it to be over before it had even begun.

Standing from the warm sheets I shuffled over to my old cracked mirror in the far corner of the room and straightened out my appearance, making sure to run a brush through the blond mop on the top of my head before shrugging on a grey hoodie and leaving the room. Walking down the stairs slowly I heard a loud cry from Drew, causing me to stop dead in my tracks. “What do you mean he’s coming back?!” I froze, hardly ever hearing my best friend’s voice at such a booming pitch. Licking over the surface of my lips I quietly treaded down the last few steps and stood outside the living room door where the source of the noise appeared to be coming from.

“He’s only just left!” Drew’s recognisable tone filled my ears. “Why’s he coming back so soon?!”
I heard a sigh, then Laurence’s voice respond to Drew’s outbursts, slightly calmer however. “He said he has booked some time off and wants to spend it with us. Drew, why is this such a bad thing?”

“You know what Shane’s like! He’ll freak out and won’t leave his room again!” Admittedly, Drew’s protectiveness was usually something I was thankful for, however, right now; He should really shut up.

“Shane’s fine.” Laurence merely replied, and I could almost hear his signature eye roll. “Besides, him and Kier seem to be getting along.”
“That’s what I’m worried about.” My eyebrows rose at Drew’s words, shuffling slightly closer to the almost closed door. “Kier doesn’t know anything of what Shane has been through, what if he makes one of his idiotic comments that sends him backwards?”
I didn’t let Laurence reply, unable to listen any longer to the words that left my best friends mouth and shuffled into the room, giving the three men in the room a timid smile. “I-I’ve heard that Kier’s coming back...” I stuttered out, trying to give Drew, Laurence and a silent Luke the most confident smile I could muster.

“Yeah.” Laurence replied, smiling at me while Drew folded his arms, in an almost childish way.

“Apparently so.” He mumbled, paying his utmost attention to the mismatched socks on his feet.

“I-I’m really excited,” I responded softly, moving to curl up on the armchair; I was determined not to hide away today, not wanting to miss any news on when Kier was going to return. “I-I didn’t get to speak to him m-much.”

I could feel Drew’s gaze on me and I turned to the wide eyed male, giving him a timid grin.

“That’s great, I’m sure he’d be happy to see you too.” Laurence replied, looking a little surprised by my enthusiasm and typed away on his laptop, assumedly emailing Kier.

We all sat in silence while Laurence typed and I felt both Drew’s and Luke’s stares boring into my form while I watched my raven haired friend intently.

“So, He’s getting tonight’s flight so he might be here by around Lunch time tomorrow.” Laurence murmured after around ten minutes. I grinned, sitting up a little straighter in my seat. “I’m going to pick him up from the airport again.”
“That’s great.” Drew mumbled, sighing softly.

“Can I come and meet him with you?” I asked, a faint blush growing on my cheeks at the thought.

“What?!”