FIFTY - SIX ✵ a bad time in the woods

' A BAD TIME IN THE WOODS '
act nine ; chapter seven

' A BAD TIME IN THE WOODS 'act nine ; chapter seven

︽✵︽

IT WAS LATE NOW. It was dark as if someone had taken black ink and painted the blue sky with it. The stars looked different here compared to back home, they seemed to glow more sparkle even. Y/N took a moment to appreciate the way they glistened like diamonds.

A huff left her lips as she walked away from the window and down the long halls of the castle hoping to bump into the Emperor. An itching feeling had been with her since Zeref helped her in the lab, she could feel his kiss tingle on her forehead, she could feel her skin hum at the feeling of his fingers against it.

Her face scrunched up in confusion and as if by second nature she wrapped her arms around her self. Her fingers pressing hard into her arm, trying to push the feeling deep down into her body. Maybe if she pushed hard enough it would fall right out of her and she would be free of the strange sensation.

If she talked to him it would go away, that was her logic, she just needed to thank him and then everything would go back to normal.

"If you're looking for his grace then he is in deep in the forest."

Y/N felt her heart stop at the voice. She wasn't sacred, no never scared but his voice, it held so much power. Every word that came out of his mouth was a gust of wind in a storm. Hitting her, throwing her off course.

Turning around was a slow process. She had to tell her brain to move her feet, to turn her head, to breath.

She came face to face with an old man. His face scared with old age. Y/N blinked before taking a step back - this man was strong. Despite his old appearance, he stood tall, posture perfect, eyes alert. He seemed more alive than she did.

"You're August..." Y/N mumbled more to herself than him. He was the man in the painting next to Zeref. It was him.

August didn't say anything. He just looked at her, his eyes seemed to glare right into her. A glare? She wasn't sure if it was a glare or not. It wasn't a kind look or a spiteful one. Due to her history, she was an expert at body language and reading people but with him - he was like a blank canvas. 

"What do you think the Emperor is like?"

Y/N blinked.

What the fuck, she thought as she watched the man walk towards her. His long steps seemed to take an eternity to reach her, they bunched across the stone walls and the loud thumping of his walking stick only added to the booming sounds of his steps.

"Oh, I um- well..." He walked right past her, his cape dragging along the purple carpet. Something in her gut told her to follow him, even though everything else in her body screamed, go back to her room and hide under the bed.