28 | spider-man chapstick

requested by my love, @parkcrs !!!!

summary: Nostalgic finds at New York bodegas can lead to flirtatious and awkward encounters with the boy you call your best friend. 

warnings: awkward flirting, bodegas *shutter*, a hint of chaotic energy

+ + +

It was weird what thoughts could spring from such an ordinary inanimate object. Sure, random items filling the shelves at the local bodega sprung a smile onto your face, but they'd never sparked mischief and thoughts the way this one had. 

You pursed your lips, taking a small step closer to the shelf, reaching forward and grabbing a chapstick.

Not just any chapstick. Spider-Man chapstick. 

It wasn't peculiar to find objects like such in a bodega. In fact, ever since Iron Man became a thing, store shelves became stocked with ordinary objects decorated in honor of the hero. Therefore, it wasn't a surprise to see an array of chapsticks, each donned with decorations of a different Avenger. 

You twisted the tube around in your fingers. It was pomegranate flavored, and when you swiftly popped off the cap to get a whiff, it smelled like your ordinary cheap chapstick. Nonetheless, you had your mind hooked on the idea of Peter's reaction when he saw you applying a tube of chapstick with- well, him- donned on it. 

You put the lid back on, walking to the register and purchasing the item as quickly as possible. 

+ + +

As soon as you caught sight of Peter Parker heading down the hallway, you jumped and fumbled around your locker for that godforsaken chapstick. Your fingers made contact with it just mere seconds before the boy leaned against the locker next to yours and you quickly began applying it, looking in the mirror in the door of your locker before looking over at him. 

"Hi," he breathes, signature crooked smile planted on his lips. 

You only give him a slight eyebrow raise in acknowledgement, making sure to apply the chapstick as slowly as possible. It tasted like pure nostalgia, sparking your memories of being little and "playing with makeup"- AKA really just caking on whatever you had on. 

"Ready for Physi-?"

You bite back the raging urge to smile, looking over at his dumbstruck face, brown eyes squinting. 

"Is that...?"

Lips feeling a bit too hydrated, you pull the tube away from your face and hold the tube in front of your face, twisting it around. 

An incredulous and bewildered look lights his face. "You have Spider-Man chapstick?!"

You shrug nonchalantly. He snatches the object out of your hand and twists it around right in front of his eyes, the faintest smile tugging at his lips.

"LipSmackers, you know?" you say, watching him. "They always have the superhero stuff."

A bright grin plays on his face before it suddenly drops and he looks at you, or more specifically, your lips. It didn't help that his heightened senses pulled the scent to him, filling him with remembrance of the two of you in your youngest days, at the beginning of your friendship. 

And all of a sudden, he can't get the fact that you applied Spider-Man chapstick out of his mind. Sure, the two of you had a flirty relationship, one that made half the school believe you were dating, but you both knew that wasn't true. You were best friends, that's it. Still, Peter was bewildered by you. You knew he was Spider-Man and bought that chapstick with that knowledge, then proceeded to tauntingly apply it, right before his eyes.