45 | locked out

do i have a bunch of requests to write? mhmm! am i skipping them to write about something i got randomly inspired about? MHMM!!

summary: y/n can't remember to grab her keys, peter misses the old days with you, and may baked extra cookies

warnings: i'm mad at myself for writing this bc i want this really bad. also cussing. wouldn't be an imagine of mine without some COLOR!

INSPIRED BY "KEYS" BY @ holland-ish ON TUMBLR !!!! her imagines are super cute so go check them out haha
and when i say inspired by i mean it's legitimately almost a carbon copy with some slightly plot changes and my own writing style lol

+ + +

"shit," you mutter, flicking a strand of hair out of your face as you dig through your backpack, looking like a maniac as you rummage around your bag outside your apartment. you lose your temper and upturn the bag, its contents flying out and decorating the wooden floor of the hallway. 

no keys.

a groan falls from your lips and you shove everything back into your bag with little care about organization, standing up and huffing as you stare at the door. the sound of the lock jiggling doesn't give as you harass the knob, cursing yourself for forgetting your keys the one time your parents went on an anniversary vacation. 

you run through all your options: fire escape? no, your window was locked anyways. key under the mat? not with your superstitious father. the parkers?

you lean your head against the door as you stare at the one across the hallway, cute woven welcome mat you knew for a fact that may had created herself. 

the parkers had lived in hallway 300 of queenswood apartment complex as long as your family had. you and peter grew up together, never necessarily best friends, but close enough to wrestle for fun and go off into your own world every time there'd be an "adult gathering." close enough to spark little hints of love between the two of you, the first crush that you never forget. aunt may was practically your second mom. nonetheless, as the story goes with all neighborhood kids, the two of you began to drift as you entered middle school, each becoming busier and more involved with extracurriculars. 

it didn't mean you were completely distant, though. you were there when peter had just gotten his powers. literally- that trip to the museum was odd, to say the least. and you were the one hugging him along with may after his uncle ben had died, the shoulder to cry on that made him feel so weak yet so loved at the same time. 

as high school came, so did less free time, but still the string between the two of you was never split. sometimes you'd leave for school at the same time and walk together, feeling a slightly awkward yet comfortable air between the two of you as you were jostled on the subway. you'd say hi in the hallways or at least give looks of acknowledgement, or share moments from across classes. especially this year, the two of you would go head to head in playful debates about interpretations of to kill a mockingbird. and, of course, may would constantly say hello every time she saw you, as well as tease peter after every said occasion, claiming that "y/n is still single and ready for you to make a move," which always elicited an annoyed and flustered groan from the boy.

you were still y/n and peter was still peter. 

sucking in a breath, you take the few steps across the hallway, raising your hand and knocking gently on the door. your eyes widen when you realize you'd subconsciously knocked the pattern you and peter came up with as kids; a signal to each other that the other one wanted to play.