54 | peter parker for pepper spray! (blurb)

what is this title lmao

summary: y/n lost her pepper spray, old men in new york are creepy, and peter parker just walked out of delmar's with a sandwich in hand and a kind enough heart to help out an enemy

warnings: creepy new york dude. awkward tension. i have the brain of a flightless bird eating divorce papers Anyways

requested by SlytherclawNewsie <3

+ + +

peter parker was an asshole.

something about the boy had always gotten on your nerves. the way he carried himself in the hallways, always donned in collared shirts and sweaters yet wearing a cocky smile made you want to kick him. 

maybe you had anger issues. 

then you two had physics together. he was teacher's pet, always getting slighty higher grades than you or tying you at a 100. sure, you sympathized a little when flash would pick on him, but those feelings would turn right back to annoyance when the boy would manage to get flash back in one way or another. especially with the way he'd smirk at you and your angry expressions; all you wanted to do was sock him in his perfect teeth. he got you riled up in a way that had your friends convinced that you really just liked him underneath and were angry about it, but that wasn't the case. he was an annoying asshole with a blabbering mouth and he knew it.

yet, as you stood there, a girl without her pepper spray being followed by a sketchy man, all about peter parker was forgotten.

especially since he'd just walked out of delmar's, not even ten feet away from you, grocery bag in hand and eyes wide as they rested on the sight of you and the man who hadn't yet seen him. peter gulps and clears his throat, eyes shifting to the man. with a sharp inhale, he steps towards you, throwing an arm around your shoulders. "hey, babe."

if it weren't for peter's surprisingly strong grip on your shoulders, you would've been frozen in place on the concrete. or punching him in the nuts. babe? what the hell is he pulling?

"i got you your favorite," he says, a bit too loud. 

"thanks," you nod, confused, before leaning towards him and whispering. "what on earth are you pulling, parker?"

"did you not notice the creepy stalker? play along," he mutters quickly, throwing in a fake chuckle to which you awkwardly return. 

"thanks, babe."

you cringe simultaneously. peter begins blabbering about some self defense class that you apparently had been taking, and how was it today? good? oh, you mastered roundhouse kicks? i'm so proud of you!

the whole time you had really just been absentmindedly responding, just loud and convincing enough for it to be believable to the creep. for the first time in god knows how long, you were actually thankful for peter and his inability to keep words to a minimum.

you had to admit it, though. peter parker was cute. and the grip he had on you right now? you had no idea that the kid was so built. if it weren't for his annoying self and the one test he scored higher than you on, you would be melting under his touch. 

but he still sucked. right.

"i knew you'd crush it today, especially after you'd broken your instructor's nose last time. what was his name? tim? big, buff, guy? or was it the-" peter looks behinds the two of you- " okay, he's gone."

a sigh falls from your lips and you tilt your head back in relief, immediately hitting peter's arm, which was still wrapped around you. you jump, and he quickly pulls his arm away.

"sorry," he mutters. 

"no, i think you just saved me from being killed."

"killed?" peter's eyes bug out. he softens, reality hitting him.  

"yeah, uh, anyways," you blurt, "i would've been fine had i not lost my pepper spray today. i normally just yell at the creeps and point the can at them; does wonders. but, um, thanks for being there, though."

peter nods slowly, eyes still wide as he takes in the information. damn. "well, i can walk you home if you need me to-"

"we're here, actually."

"oh."

the boy rocks on his feet, hands awkwardly fiddling with the plastic of his sandwich bag. a siren sounds off a few blocks away but you don't pay attention to it, opting for staring at the boy nervously, sucking in a breath. "how'd you do on the physics test today?"

"97," he quips. your eyes widen.

"holy shit," you whisper. peter watches with an amused expression as a laugh flies out of your mouth and you throw your head back, pumping your fists in victory. 

"what?" peter laughs nervously. a smile quirks at his lips as you catch your breath, putting a hand over your heart.

"i got a 100. took long enough for you to slip up, parker."

"i only never slip up because you're watching," peter says, then tenses, filling with regret. me and my stupid mouth.

you grin, stomach twisting. "thank you, peter. i don't know what i would've done without you tonight. and i only slip up because you're watching," you say. you walk up the steps to your apartment building, feeling your past resentment towards the boy begin to fade away.

"wait, does that mean i make you nervous?"

you turn and shrug before swinging open the door. peter's mouth is agape, the ghost of his smile still painted on his face. 

"y/n!"

+ + +

y'all know i am the Enemies To Lovers Trope's Whore i live for that shit

also HAPPY TEN YEAR TO 1D those boys deadass have my whole heart i literally love them so so much can they please give us the infinity music video and do a reunion tour i would SOB

i know it's probably gonna take like a year for me to finish and publish but! independent! book! is! going! well! my dad and i were talking and he said that tbh if i became a new york times bestselling author... columbia may not turn me down LMAO

but imagine becoming a new york times bestselling author oh my god i would cry so many tears of joy catch me manifesting this

i love all of you to my heart's extent MWAH have a beautiful day/night/whatever and this is your reminder to go drink water!!!!!!!!!!! <3