Chapter 6

Jasmine's POV

"Where are we going?" He doesn't say anything but I continue to follow him into the elevator. Jaxon presses the ground floor button and I'm confused so I reiterate my question. Jaxon finally looks at me.

"You're going home. You're drunk and out of pocket Jasmine!" He's mad at me for literally nothing! I rolled my eyes not caring one bit. I wasn't the rude one.

Marsha started this by being racist towards me! Typical white people shit, ignoring what they wanted to and acknowledging shit that doesn't matter! This is why I can't fuck with a man outside my race. Imagine being attached to someone who could easily ignore the social injustices around you!

"Jaxon, you need to leave me alone. Going home where? I'm not going home. If anything you should go home since you're pouting like a child."

"Tell me this, what was that back there?!" He asks, turning towards me.

"Are you serious right now Jaxon? You're mad because I defended myself from your racist girlfriend? Now I'm the one that has to leave?" He didn't say anything for a moment. He looked to be thinking back on the situation.

"Yeah, I get it. Somethings she said wasn't cool. I'm going to talk with her."

"You think just because you talk to her she will change? All I was doing was having a little fun. Just like you did with me the other night with truth or dare. It was nothing major. Sure, I made it seem like we were a little more familiar with each other than we actually are. But then she started saying shit like, you wouldn't be interested in me because I'm black. What the fuck is that?" I stared at Jaxon, waiting for his response. He cleared his throat.

"Just to be clear Jasmine, I don't agree with her. I don't see color." When those words left his mouth, I looked at this man like he had two heads. Yup typical white people shit to say. He began to laugh.

"I'm kidding Jasmine. Shit, I know I'm white but I'm not completely oblivious! I'm not colorblind. I know you're black and I'm white and our different races shapes our perspectives on life." Hmmmm, I was slightly impressed by what Jaxon had just said. Maybe he wasn't as dunce as I first suspected.

I continued to rant under my breath about Marcy implying that Jaxon was somehow better than me. Jaxon eyeballed me like I've gone mad.

"Jaxon wouldn't date a girl like you." I mocked Marcy. "Shit,you would be lucky to date someone like me!"

"You're right." I eyeballed him skeptically.

"Oh so you know? I wish you would've said that shit so she could know too!"

"Holy shit Jasmine, it's over with. At this point, I have to ask, are you jealous of her?" My eyes bulged at the sound of his question. Was he crazy? That is the last thing I would be. I, Jasmine Smith, do not get jealous of any fucking woman. A smirk crept onto his face and I just wanted to wipe it completely off. I knew he was trying to push my buttons.

"Don't flatter yourself Mr. Robinson, you're cute but not that cute."

"So now you think I'm cute?" I swear, this man had selective hearing. "You see a beautiful woman show just a little interest in me and now all this drama ensues. Damn that kiss yesterday had a bigger effect than I thought." He smirked and I had the itch to slap it right off his face!

Before I could answer him with my slick ass mouth and explain to him that he was delusional, the elevator made several jerky movements before stopping altogether. The lights flickered on and off like a horror movie and all I can think to myself is, did this bitch just fucking stop working?

"What just happened Jaxon?" I asked with nervousness evident in my voice. All the merriment in my voice was now gone and I could feel myself sober up tenfold. Jaxon eyeballed me for a moment too long before tearing his blue steal gaze from me and turning towards the emergency help button in the elevator. He pressed it and the button lit up right before a loud buzzer went off.

"Clearly, we're stuck in the elevator. And by the look on your face-- he turned towards me with a slight smirk on his face--- it seems the Spawn of Satan does have her weaknesses." I take immediate offense to his name calling.

"Don't call me that asshole." I sunk to the ground in near tears that I'm praying will not spill over and embarrass me in front of this man. He could not see me this vulnerable. I pride myself in being strong. I had to be strong to put up with a man like Darnell. But I couldn't help my voice sounding weak when I spoke up again.

"I'm just feeling kind of claustrophobic right about now." The more I sat on the ground and thought about our situation, the more my breathing became more labored and erratic. The idea of being stuck 20 floors above the ground and in a small cramped elevator with Jaxon was really taking a toll on me mentally. Jaxon seemed to finally realize that I'm seriously having a breakdown.

"Holy shit. You're actually scared." I didn't respond. Instead I closed my eyes and continued to focus on my breathing. One moment I was on the floor, alone, and hyperventilating, and the next moment Jaxon was crouched down next to me and caressing my back, trying to comfort me. His voice is lower and more soothing.

"Jasmine, I think you're having a panic attack. Let me help you through this. I need you to put your head between your legs and take deep breaths and exhale through your mouth." Jaxon pushed my dress up just a little towards my knees to give me space to lean my head down. A shocking tingle shot through my body as I felt his hands rub against my legs. I ignored my modesty and began to do as he said. Meanwhile a woman's voice finally came over the intercom to ask if we were ok. Jaxon dealt with speaking to her while I finally got my breathing under control. After a good five minutes of calming my breathing, I finally felt comfortable to speak again. I lifted my head and pulled my dress back over my knees. Jaxon's hand was still leisurely rubbing my back. I don't even think he realized what he was doing but for some reason, I become hyper-aware of his touch and it sent chills down my spine; I didn't want him to stop.

"Thank you." I say in a low voice. I never thought I would see the day that I would thank Jaxon twice in one week. Somehow Mr. know-it-all was becoming my savior and I didn't know how I felt about that. If I had been in this elevator alone, someone would have found me passed out. Jaxon's cerulean eyes bulged widely in mock surprise and I wanted to instantly take my thanks back. He was grinning from ear to ear and his smile was naturally contagious. I fought the urge to smile back.

"Wow did you just say something nice to me? Twice in one week Mrs. She-devil." I gave him the evil eye.

"Don't push your luck. This is a once in a lifetime thing." He stopped rubbing my back and I instantly felt a loss of warmth.

*******************

Comment + vote

A Thin Line between Love and Hateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें