Chapter 36

Jasmine POVs

Today was my mother's 60th birthday party and to say that I was extremely nervous about showing up to this thing was an understatement. For one, my mother and I didn't leave off on great terms the last time we spoke. And two, I would be showing up as a couple with Jaxon for the world to see. If I did this, that would mean that I was finally accepting this relationship and that this shit was for real. Just the thought of it gave me chills down my back. I shook my head slightly. I was trying to clear it of the many doubtful thoughts bombarding my mind. I applied a coat of lip gloss and smacked my lips together before fluffing out my hair. A text message dinged on my phone, prompting me to glance down and check that Jaxon was here to pick me up so that we could ride to my parents house together. Megan already left for the party about an hour ago.

"Hey baby." Jaxon leaned in and kissed me chastely on the lips as I sat inside his vehicle. I smiled slightly but it didn't reach my eyes, my anxiety was skyrocketing. Jaxon looked at me for a moment too long. He looked to be observing my body language before putting the car in drive.

"Remember, we're in this together." He tried to calm me down by reaching over and squeezing my knee reassuringly. But to be honest, nothing he said was going to calm me down. To put his mind at ease, I smiled weakly at his words and sunk back into the seat as he drove. We sat in contemplative silence for most of the drive. My parents approval meant more than the world to me and to openly defy them was really fucking with my mind.

About half hour later, we arrived at my parents house. As Jaxon placed the car in park, I sucked in a deep breath before exhaling it all at once. I could literally feel my heart beating rapidly against my ribcage.

Jaxon must have noticed because he tried to reassure me again.
"Baby, we got this." He said confidently while intertwining our hands together. I looked down at how much we contrasted with one another. Who would have thought it would be me and Jax together? Jaxon lifted my chin and stared deeply into my eyes, challenging me.

"Where is that she-devil who doesn't take shit from anyone?" He asked me playfully and I rolled my eyes while punching him in the arm. I raised an eyebrow.

"I swear to god Jax, you know how I feel when you call me that. I dare you to say it again!" I challenged him. "I'll show you a fucking devil! I promise you baby." I said with a scowl on my face but humor in my voice. Jaxon smirked as I eyed him with fire in my eyes. I watched as this man began to twist up his lips to try me again.

"She-" He began tauntingly but then stopped to gage my reaction. I just stared daggers at him, waiting so I could shove that nickname down his throat.

"Say it! I dare you." I repeated myself. "You look like you're bursting to get slapped. Actually, let's say it together Jax. Sh, sh, sheee." I began to taunt him playfully back. He knew I wasn't the one. Jaxon burst out laughing and I couldn't help but crack a smile also.

"Ohh, there she is. I can even see your infamous horns coming out." He leaned in to pat my "horns" and I tried to slap his hands away. But Jaxon was quicker as he pulled back before I could get a good hit on him. I hated when he compared me to the devil and that's exactly why he did it. I couldn't help giving him the reactions he was looking for and he loved that shit.

"Ohh there goes that fiestyness that I love." I rolled my eyes while smiling. He grabbed my chin between his fingers and caressed my bottom lip with his thumb.

"And there goes that beautiful smile I love to see." He leaned in and kissed me gently. "Good, when you smile, that means I've done my job." I chuckled at his words. Jaxon's unconventional humor helped me calm down and I was glad for it. At least my nerves weren't bouncing all over the place like they were 10 minutes ago.