Chapter 22

Jaxon's POVI was on my way home from work when I got the craziest text from Marcy

Jaxon's POV
I was on my way home from work when I got the craziest text from Marcy. I called her right away and we both agreed to meet up later to talk about what the hell was going on.

My mind was all over the place when I walked into the house. Seeing Jasmine's beautiful, yet feisty self, cooking in her booty shorts helped alleviate the sudden stress I was feeling. Megan wasn't home yet so I figured it was fine to flirt a little with Jas.

"Hey babe, something smells good." I said while smiling and putting my things down.

"I don't know why you're getting excited. Who says you're getting any?" She asked with mischief dancing in her brown eyes.

"You're such a little brat! Always teasing me." I said while smiling at her.

"What can I say? It's just too easy with you." She said while smiling back. I strolled over to her and began to look at the top of her head.

"What?" She asked confused.

"Oh, I'm just searching for the demon horns that are usually present. Today they look extra sharp and deadly." I reached out to pat her head and she grabbed the knife next to the counter.

"You know what else is sharp and deadly? This knife if you touch me." She said with a smirk on her face.

"Touché" I said, while throwing my hands up in surrender.

With my hands still up, I leaned in and kissed her lightly on her cheek. Jasmine stiffened. Ok, that's not the reaction I was looking for.

Suddenly, the smile on her face disappeared. She looked contemplative as she put the knife down.

"Hey Jax, I was thinking. Maybe we should stop this "thing" we have going on with us before one of us gets hurt." I scrunched my eyebrows up is confusion.

"Here me out Jaxon before you look at me like that." I don't say anything but I lifted an eyebrow indicating that I'm waiting on her to finish what she's got to say. I leaned on the kitchen island, facing her, and crossed my arms defensively.

"You and I don't mix well Jaxon. And you know this is how it's always been between us." She's eyeing my body language before continuing. "And I don't completely trust you. You might be interested now but that feeling will fizzle and I'll be left to cope like I did in high school." I was so angry at her words, my jaw was ticking.

"Just say you're fucking scared Jasmine and stop making up all these excuses. Fuck! Yes, what I did to you in high school was fucked up and childish." I said while pushing off of the island and closing the small space between us. I hovered over her and stared deeply into her eyes. I reached my hand out and gently rubbed her cheek.

"I don't think I've ever said, I'm sorry. So this is me apologizing to you Jasmine. From the bottom of my heart I'm sorry for taking advantage of you. I'm sorry that I hurt you so deeply that, years later, you're still holding on to this resentment. I'm sorry that this is the reason why you either can't or won't let whatever this is flourish and thrive. What we have going could be beautiful if you just gave us a chance baby." I could see the tears in Jasmine's eyes building up and threatening to spill over. She looked away from the intensity in my own eyes.