Chapter 45

Jasmine's POV

My heart was beating out of my chest as I stood stark still at the sound of a woman calling Jaxon from inside of the house. This was a bad idea. I knew I shouldn't have come here. I tried to play off my embarrassment by clearing my throat.

"Um, uh....It sounds like your girlfriend might be calling you... Damn umm, I don't know what I was thinking coming here. I shouldn't have come." I said quickly while chewing my bottom lip awkwardly before turning to leave. Great job Jasmine, you've succeeded in sounding like a fool. I reprimanded myself. What did I expect when I showed up at his house unannounced? Did I expect him to allow me to run into his wide open arms? Doubt began to shroud my thinking and this was exactly what I worked so hard to overcome. I shook my negative thoughts away. I came here looking for closure and there was nothing wrong with that. And if Jaxon rejected speaking with me, that was his alright also. Again, there was nothing wrong with that either. I remembered what Dr. Yang said. Things didn't always need to go my way.

A moment later I heard the same woman come to the front door. I turned around to get a look at her.

"Hey Jax, my ride is pulling up now. I'll see you tomorrow?" The woman was beautiful with dirty blonde hair and a model's physique.

I observed as she gave Jaxon a quick hug before leaving the house. When she approached me, she gave me a polite head nod, before walking past me and up to an UBER that arrived only moments ago. I watched as the beautiful blonde got into the car and pulled off. After the UBER was gone, I decided that it was probably best for me to leave and rethink my entire approach. I continued to my own car. It was painfully obvious that I was too late when it came to working anything out with Jaxon. Was that my plan all along? I didn't actually think this through did I? I thought of the blonde woman again and rolled my eyes. Yup, I was 95% sure that there was no way they were just friends.

I opened the door to my car and began to fold myself into the car when a muscled tattooed arm snuck from behind my head and shut my car door closed.

"Why are you here Jasmine?" I pivoted around and looked at Jaxon. I was startled momentarily at how close he was to me. He took a slight step back as he crossed his arms over his well muscled chest.

"I'm going to assume you didn't just come here to play ding dong ditch at my door and then runaway right after." he eyed me skeptically.

I almost smirked. He would've been right if I still had the same mentality as my old Jasmine counterpart. Right now I needed to think more rationally.

"You're right. I didn't come to just runaway." I decided to try the truth. "Honestly, I was leaving because I thought you were probably busy when I heard your girlfriend in the background." I almost cringed physically at my not so subtle way of trying to figure out who that woman was to him. I waited for his response and noticed that he didn't correct my assumption about his lady friend. A sadness flooded over me as realization began to set in. I really was too late. I continued.

"I thought that maybe I should have called first so that I wasn't interrupting something important." Jaxon stared at me with his bright blue eyes and I was mesmerized. Urgh, how was it possible for him to get even more handsome?

"Well, as you saw, Amy is gone and I'm no longer busy. Do you want to come inside?" He offered and I slowly nodded my head yes. At the very least, I could get some much needed closure out of this impromptu meeting.

Jaxon reached out his hand in front of him, indicating for me to walk ahead of him. I followed his lead as we both ambled into his house and into his living room.