Chapter 40

Jasmine's POV

My mother's eyes bulged as she waved her arms back and forth trying to defend my father. 

"No baby, he's completely innocent. I'm the one whose made the biggest mistake of my life and I'm hoping you can forgive me." She said desperately. How could I forgive someone when I still didn't fully understand why she did it. 

"I was only trying to protect you." She added. Protect me? Was she serious. The sound of her disgusting words triggered me. One moment I was just standing there and watching my mother desperately trying to explain herself and then in the next moment, I found myself leaning over her with a raised open-palmed hand, ready to slap her. I didn't even hesitate or think about it as I let go without even caring about any consequences and swung with all my might. I watched as my mom shrunk back in fear but I had no remorse. She deserved this and I absolutely did not care. Unfortunately, that's also when I felt a strong grip on my forearm, instantly immobilizing my slap. I looked over my shoulder and saw Jaxon holding my arm in place. I tried to pull out of his grip but it was of no use; he was 10 times stronger than me.

"Babe, I understand you're upset but I don't want you to do something you'll regret." He said calmly and I almost laughed out loud.

"Jaxon, I can promise you that I wouldn't regret slapping her one bit. She deserves it." I said this reassuringly but Jaxon still held firmly on my arm.

"I think we should go." He suggested. 

"She owes me an explanation." I said a little too angrily.

"Yes, but you've been worked up all day. I don't think it's healthy for you or the baby. I think we can reconvene at a later time." I glanced back at my mother with her head down. She looked so sorrowful it was pathetic. Once I felt Jaxon loosen his hold on my arm, I wiggled my arm away from his hold forcefully. I gave my mother one final stare down. If I couldn't hit her, at least I could kill her with my words.

"I want you to know that I will NEVER forgive you for any of this no matter what you have to say. You're dead to me." With that being my final words, I stomped out of the room without saying anything to anyone else. I hoped what I said cut her just as deeply as her betrayal cut me. I opened the front door of the house and slammed it so hard, the door frame shook. I headed towards Jaxon's car and realized I didn't even have a key. But none of that mattered at this point; I didn't care. I sagged against his passenger side window and crossed my arms and sighed heavily as everything that transpired today really hit me. Tears began to well up in my eyes but I tried to hold them back. I didn't want to feel this weak or helpless. 

I looked up to the sky and saw dark clouds roaming in fast. That was Florida for you. One minute it was all sunshine and rainbows and in the next minute a thunderstorm would begin to brew. Just my fucking luck. I leaned against the side of the car and slid down to the ground. The tears were now brimming on the rim of my eyes and as the first droplets of rain landed on my face. I couldn't hold back any longer and my tears finally overflowed. I silently sat there and cried miserably to myself as the rain finally broke through the heavens and began to pour all around me.

A few minutes later, Jaxon came outside. I watched him through tear filled eyes, as he walked up to me slowly. He didn't seem to notice or care that it was raining. Instead, his eyes never left my face as he approached me. He never even said a word to me and for that I was grateful. I didn't want to talk anymore. I felt exhausted and tired now. As Jaxon approached me, he reached out  and encircled me into his strong arms. Right there, while standing in the rain, I instantly let the rest of my pent up anger and sadness loose as I cried loudly into his chest. I don't know how long we stood there. But once I was done crying, I wiped my tears and leaned back to look up at him.