Chapter 28 - Losing a friend

Ring 

Ring 

Nothing. 

I sighed in defeat, as I let my phone bounce down on the cushion of the armchair. I had tried to call Luke for two days now. Two fucking days! After he had walked in on me and Romeo in the locker room, he had vanished as quickly as he appeared. I tried to run after him, but there was no trace of him anywhere. No one had seen Luke leave the football field and when I asked around on the parking lot, people didn't know if a slim boy with platinum blonde hair has rushed past them. Fucking hell, he was like a rainbow needle you tried to find in grey hay. It should be easy, but apparently the colorful needle didn't want to be found. 

I had tried to call him that evening about 15 times. Nothing. And when I expected to get a word with him at school, the teachers told me, that he had called in sick. Even when I came by his house after school that day, the door remained closed, although I swear I saw a curtain being pulled aside from what I supposed to be his room. Honestly, his house was so freakishly big, I would get lost if I would live there. But even then, I didn't get an answer and honestly, I was just confused. 

"Still nothing?" Romeo, who was currently sitting on my sofa, asked. He drove me home after I had stopped by at Lukes before and didn't get an answer there. I had called him, angry, confused and sad and of course he was quick to pick me up. Normally I shouldn't be out and alone, but I had to do this on my own, if I wanted to make things right with Luke. If he really was angry at me for dating Romeo, then showing up at his front door with my secret lover, wasn't such a peachy idea, right? After that, we went to my house and I tried to call Luke another few times. Still unsuccessfully. 

I shook my head in response, my lips pressed together in a fine line. "I'm so sorry babe, really, I am" Romeo said, standing up and walking over to where I was standing, caressing my cheek with his hand. 

"I just honestly don't get it. He is pansexual for crying out loud, he shouldn't have a problem with this! And he already knew, that I was seeing a guy, so why is this such a big deal to him?" 

"Whoah whoah, hold up one second! He knew??" Romeo asked, looking a bit taken aback. 

"Well, not really. I didn't tell him or anything, as you know I'm not ready for that yet. But he kind of figured, with the way I was marked all over, thanks again by the way" I replied, pointing at another hickey Romeo had given me at our little locker room make out session. 

"Hey, you are not holding back yourself asshole! If I hadn't told my parents about you already, they would have figured it out themselves, given by the massive hickey I was rocking the other day" Romeo chuckled and playfully shoved my shoulder. 

"Yeah Yeah, I guess we both like to play dirty" I smirked hopping onto the couch. My arm was resting on top of the sofa, as Romeo sat next to me, leaning his head back onto my arm. 

"But really, I don't get it. One moment he tells me, that its ok if I'm seeing a guy and I don't have to tell him about it, because he knows how scary and confusing that can be for the first time. And now he won't even face me. I actually don't get it and I really, really just want to understand what I did wrong! From all the people in the world, I didn't think Luke finding out about us would be such a big deal" I said, rubbing my temples. 

"Maybe he likes you and is a little heartbroken right now? Or maybe he likes me?" Romeo suggested, the trace of a smirk forming in the corner of his lips. 

"Don't be stupid" I retorted and now it was my turn to playfully shove him a little. 

"I'm not. Just being realistic over here. Well, what if he does have a crush on one of us. Probably you, since he doesn't know me that well and I guess Luke would be more of a personality over looks person. And I'm not saying, that you are not hot, so you can wipe that surprised and offended expression right of your beautiful face ok? I'm just saying, you are friends and he really likes you. Maybe that liking has become more and maybe he had hoped, that now that you were into boys as well, you two would stand a chance?"