Chapter 42

CHAPTER 42

Carla was fed up. It had only been a day and already she had come to loathe her mate's best friend. Landon had been hounding her non stop about Jessie.

"Why don't YOU go tell HER all about YOUR feelings. I. Do. Not. CARE!" Carla growled.

"But she might reject me." Landon whined.

Jessie was slowly recovering. Her healing was faster than humans but still slow compared to other wolves. She would be in training now if Landon hadn't broken her arm. His wolf was a sore loser and now they're both suffering for it.

Sensing his mate's agitation, Jack came over and threw an arm over Landon's shoulder, "Dude pull yourself together and let's go to the gym."

Landon allowed himself to be led away, completely distracted. Jack gave a heated glance at Carla and she glared back because now her panties were damp. Jack grinned widely smelling her arousal and he ran back to kiss her thoroughly before taking off again.

Jerk!  she yelled through the link.

Training was going well. Lenny wore a ridiculous grin that everyone teased him for but he took the good nature ribbing in stride while his mate blew kisses from the sidelines. The Omegas worked harder than ever fueled by the knowledge that they could hold their own in a fight against normal wolves. Carla sensed her father's presence long before she could see or smell him. Jackson was skilled at hiding and blending in. Most of the time people had no idea that he was even there until he chose for them to know.

Calling a halt to training, Carla sent them on laps to cool down and then told them to be back after lunch. The Omegas took off, after clearing the field of training gear and weapons. Unlike the other wolves, Omegas did for themselves and cleaned up without being told.

Carla went over to the weapons rack and picked up the ever reliable combat Bowie knife. Walking to the middle of one of the training rings, she waited. Jackson picked up the Cold Steel OSS knife and joined his daughter on the other side of the ring.

Without hesitation Carla charged, she knew he anticipated a low blow so she jumped instead and twisted mid air, bringing the blade down in a swiping motion across the top of his arm, cutting the meat to the bone. Not waiting for him to recover or heal she thrust the blade viciously into his side. Jackson grabbed her wrist with his uninjured arm and twisted popping her shoulder out of place. Carla swung upwards with her fist, breaking Jackson's nose. His blood sprayed out most of it landing on Carla's hair. Jackson snapped the wrist he was holding breaking several of the delicate bones, earning him a punch to the throat. They broke away from each other. Jackson massaged to windpipe and pulled the knife out of his side while Carla popped her dislocated shoulder back in place.

Despite the damage neither of them cried out in pain. To show weakness would give the enemy an advantage and encouragement to inflict more injury. A wolf could cry to his pack for aid, such a luxury was not for the lone wolf. Julius had taught her well.

They stood apart, this time Jackson attacked. Carla defended briefly but struck back aiming for vulnerable spots. Each hit, slash, and swing was bloody and brutal. They healed quickly but eventually they wore themselves down.

Carla was ready in defense mode but Jackson threw his bloody knife down and walked over to the water cooler. Pouring two cups of icy cold Gatorade he sat on a nearby chair, taking a huge gulp while holding the other cup out in obvious invitation.

They sat in silence, each waiting for the other to speak but neither knowing how to begin. Finally Jackson spoke, "I'm sorry about your mother."

"Why did you pick her?" Carla asked feeling that she could finally ask the questions that never dared cross her lips.