Chapter 54

CHAPTER 54

9 days ago...

The six foot cage garnered too much unwanted attention. Fortunately Jane had thrown the gloves into the cage before she had been taken. Parking in the woods outside of a town, Jordan had used the gloves to lift the cage off the back of the truck bed. Tracy stayed to guard the cage as Jordan went to a nearby 24 hour Walmart for gas and supplies.

Tracy was exhausted. They had driven without stopping into the night, putting as much distance between them and Dark Valley as possible. Jordan stayed cleared of towns and major highways sticking to the back roads. It was two in the morning and they had to rest. Jordan returned an hour later.

Tracy had already started a small fire and had washed Lady Anna up as much as she could with the water of a nearby creek. Stuffing pillows in between the bars they made a makeshift bed in the cage for Lady Anna.

She was still unconscious, becoming feverish and kept crying for Jane, begging her nightmarish tormentors to release her sister. Tracy wept as she wiped a cool damp cloth wash over the troubled face of her charge. She pictured Carla in her mind and imagined receiving the news that her best friend was dead. The image was absolutely heart wrenching and Lady Anna had a long road ahead of her.

Jordan wrapped a comforting arm around Tracy's shoulders, not saying anything he simply held her close. Tracy felt slightly better it was like her own father was there and that's exactly what he would have done. After a while Jordan walked to the back of the truck bed and laid down. Once she was satisfied that everything that could be done to make Lady Anna comfortable was complete, Tracy stood, walking over to the parked truck, she took her spot next to Jordan.

Tired they slept soundly.

-------------

Jordan didn't like the idea of going to the Rogue Ranch but given that they had no idea where the vampire allies were nor did they know anyone else in the area they didn't have much choice. The gate was shut so Jordan pressed the intercom call button.

"Whadya want?" came a disgruntled voice.

"I need to speak with Dameon Wilde."

"Well he don't wanna speak with you so git."

Tracy spoke, "Tell him that the Protector wants an audience."

The gate swung open a moment later.

"I don't like this." Jordan said popping the stick into gear.

"We don't have a choice."

"There's always a choice."

"No there really isn't. The author couldn't come up with anything better and doesn't have a clue of what's going to happen next."

"Oh great," Jordan said rolling his eyes, "how long is it going to take her to figure this out."

"Shh... don't rush her. One time she had writer's block, took two months to get over it. But she does come up with some good stuff when the writer's block passes."

"How was burning down an armory a good idea?"

"Would you want to sleep on a nasty manwhore mattress?"

"Did she had to burn down the whole armory?"

"Are we still talking about this?"

(Author's Note: Yeah I still got nothing... uughh... let's go inside and see what happens... One time I had to tell hubby something, I got to the base of the stairs and forgot. I still walked up to the third floor and called his name. He looked at me expectantly and... blankness. I still have no idea why I went up there. Oh wait! I just remembered where I was going with this).