Chapter 46

CHAPTER 46

Isiah and Cade were introduced to the pack as "guest members" which did not sit well with the Elders or some of the pack members. They felt uneasy with having two unknown vampires staying with them indefinitely. To make things worse one was a recently released convict while the other was freshly weaned off of blood.

Grumblings of discontent rumble through the ranks. Omegas training and were currently undefeated topped with free range bloodsuckers, Jonathan knew that these changes would not go unchallenged. But the first shots fired didn't take place until a month later.

---------------

Elder David Rameeta felt that turning the responsibility of Alpha to John Mason's son was a mistake. His father had been John's grandfather's twin and younger by only eight minutes. John's grandfather died soon after meeting his mate and the Alphaship was given temporarily to David's father. But when mate gave birth to male heir who was an exact replica of the dead man, the council ruled that the babe would be given the Alpha position as soon as he found his mate.

^Elder David Rameeta^

David's father had been forced to step aside to give what should have been his birthright to another. David was angered about his father's loss of power but knew better than to stir up trouble that could be interpreted as a challenge which would result in him being cast from the pack. Instead he merely waited for his chance and that chance had come. Since many of the pack members were uncertain and uneasy it wouldn't take much to push them towards fear and anger. A revolt would be perfect and allow him to seize power once again.

He would have to stir the pot quietly so that when the fire lit he wouldn't be implicated as the one who held the match. The old man walked into the Wolf's Bane Pub, a week after Alpha Jonathan returned with the two vampires. He sat quietly in the dark corner unnoticed. The small crowd was of course discussing the new arrivals.

"I don't understand why all these bloodsuckers have to come here." Aaron Reamers, a middle age man that work pack security.

"I don't mind having extra eye candy," said Ruth Ann, the barmaid, with a saucy wink.

"Shiiiit," Rodney Vule, who worked deliveries, drawled out, "Them vampires coming around here ain't doing nothing but asking for trouble. They is looking to kill our asses in our sleep, you can bet on that buddy."

"Maybe we can send the Omegas after them and save ourselves the trouble. I hope those bloodsuckers end those Omegas who are stepping around here like they're something." Aaron said.

Rodney snorted in agreement and the rest of the patrons were split on how they felt about the situation.

Ruth Ann spoke up, "Ya'll best be careful. Them Omegas were trained by the Luna herself."

"She ain't no Luna cause she ain't wolf." Rodney said quietly while looking over his shoulder to make sure there were no ranking wolves about.

Elder David spoke up, "I think you're exactly right."

"Who dat?"

The Elder stepped into the light and the regular wolfs gulped uneasily.

"Please be at ease." David said raising his open hands in a calming motion, "I'm not going to reprimand a bunch of honest hard working men for merely speaking the truth. Ms. Evans may be the Alpha's mate however, she isn't a wolf. She was raised human and only understands how to be human."

"But she's the Protector." Ruth Ann cut in.

"Protector of what?" David asked cunningly, "She protects those Omegas which have stopped doing their work, meaning that they are no longer contributing to our society. Not that the lazy bunch ever contributed much before. Even with training they are weak and will not be able to defend the pack. She protects those vampires which put our pack at risk. Who knows what intentions those night creatures have. They could easily murder a good number of us in our sleep and we wouldn't know because we would be used to their scents. But what about us? She has done nothing but put us at unnecessary risks."

Murmurs rose and tempers began to flare against the Omegas, the vampires and their Luna. David smiled slightly as the murmurs turned into shouts.

Oh these poor dumb fools, he thought, it's just too easy. I should run for president.

David knew he would not have any problems turning just enough pack members towards his cause to reclaim Alphaship. But in order to pull such a move he would have to gather more powerful foreign allies outside of the pack.

He contacted all his old friends in high positions that had sympathized when he lost his chance to rule to a newborn. He also contacted old enemies of the pack including the Midway pack leader, who had a dispute with John Mason over land rights.

Finding allies wasn't difficult, since a number of Alpha's didn't like the fact that lowly Omegas were being trained and embarrassing ranking wolves. They resented that their power wasn't as omnipotent as they would have liked and feared uprisings among their ranks. Omegas were their slaves to be used as needed but if a single Omega could take down a Gamma then it would give the other lowly individuals dangerous ideas.

-------------

The next two weeks were hell for Jonathan as he tried to address all the questions and concerns that were brought. But no matter how much he tried, the regular pack members and some ranking wolves began to cause problems. Jonathan knew it was merely a matter of time before the dam would break and he would have to start enforcing new rules. The summons he received was delivered by Council Solomon Grey, who had officiated the mating ceremony.

"I will be honest with you Jonathan. Many in the Council have become leery of all the changes that your pack have initiated and complaints have been piling up. The Council does not like to interfere with any pack or Alpha but when enough voices whisper discontent, it has to be addressed before the roar of revolt is sounded." Council Grey said as he sipped the tea he had been given.

Jonathan sat behind the desk that had been his father's and grandfather's. The Alpha's office had been upgraded with an espresso machine and fresh paint but the old historic feel of the room remained as well as the comforting smell of decades worth of cherry tobacco smoke. Jonathan remained silent contemplating the backlash of these changes.

"What are the charges and repercussions?" Jonathan asked.

"Technically there are no ordinances against training Omegas nor taking in non werewolf members into your pack. You have not violated any laws so therefore not been charged with any crimes and the Council will not intervene per say. The problem lies with the challengers. One of your elders, David Rameeta, has pointed out that he too has a right to become the next Alpha. I'm not going to rehash old history but the Elder has gathered support from members of your pack and from other Alphas to petition his claims." Solomon looked Jonathan in the eye, "the Council wants nothing to do with this but if there is an uprising then we will be forced to put forth some proposals and then take votes."

Solomon placed the empty cup and saucer on the tea tray before leaning forward to reach into his inner suit jacket pocket. Pulling out a white envelope with Jonathan's name on it, Solomon said, "This is a subpoena for a representative to appear before the Council. You will be asked to explain your reasons for training Omegas, the presence of these vampires, and Elder Rameeta's claim."

Jonathan accepted the letter. Solomon stood to leave, pausing, he looked at Jonathan, "Midway Pack has much to gain from this dissension."

Jonathan nodded, "I understand, thank you."

Solomon return his nod and left.