Chapter 64

CHAPTER 64

Jonathan had shifted in anger and taken off into the woods to run off his frustrations. By the time he returned Soloman had left to meet with his mate. Peeved that he hadn't been able to get the whole story he decided to confront the brazen woman that claimed to have his child. When Jonathan stormed into the hospital room, he paused seeing the redhead girl, whom he still didn't know the name of, nursing her newborn. The distress on her face was immediately evident. Taking in the newborn's scent he could tell the baby was not his.

"My brother tells me that you claimed this child was mine." he said quietly not to disturb the infant.

"I'm sorry for being misleading but I was hoping to talk to you. You see this baby belongs to my mate."

"Where is your mate?"

"He went to bring us something to eat. He's an Omega. I've been so scared that my father or his brother the Alpha, my godfather and uncle, would kill my Ben and perhaps my baby as well."

"I doubt that," Jonathan said skeptically.

"Status was always important to my family and the significance of rank was impressed upon my sister and myself from infancy. My parents and uncle, my pack's current Alpha, had rejected their mates to achieve more powerful allies. When I was eight, my older sister, Crystal, found that your Beta, Erik, was her mate. I overheard a conversation between my father and uncle. They said that Beta was alright but anything less and they would have killed her mate and married her off to another Alpha." tears gathered in her eyes, "I couldn't risk them finding out. I heard that you were training Omegas to fight and were trying to help them become equals. I had hoped that we could come here and we wouldn't have to hide anymore."

"That's my Luna's doing." Jonathan said with pride.

The redhead smiled before sadness clouded her expression, "I was so arrogantly dismissive of my mate. I thought myself too good for him and I hurt him repeatedly. The pull of the mate was so strong that I couldn't break the bond instead I sneaked around to see him. One morning, my father caught him in the house and beat him so badly he almost didn't survive." Tears trickled down her cheeks, the baby squirmed as if sensing his mother's distress. She placed him over her shoulder and patted his back. A small burp made them both smile.

"While he was recovering, I found that I was pregnant with his pup. When my father discovered my pregnancy. I told him that it was yours but it was best to wait until the baby was born to bring him here to lay claim to the Alphaship. I did my best to buy time. But I knew that it wouldn't last. When I heard that your mate had left, I convinced my father to let me come here alone to take my place as Luna. I brought my mate under the guise of needing a driver and servant. When I found that you had locked yourself away, I unintentionally misled your brother and his mate to believe that my son was yours but didn't correct the mistake in hopes that I could stay." She sighed and laid the sleeping baby in the plastic bedside crib, "I would like to be granted sanctuary for myself, my mate, and our son, please. Otherwise my father and uncle will kill us."

Jonathan sighed and walked away, "What is your name?"

"Sherry Blake."

"Blake?"

Pulling the burp cloth off her shoulder to reveal an impression of two paw prints, one within another, "It's my mate's last name."

Jonathan nodded, "Sanctuary granted." he said before closing the door.

------------------

When Tracy walked in through the door, Jonathan was immediately in front of her. Wrapping his arms around her tightly he spun her around taking in her scent and savoring the feel of her small lithe form pressed against him. Something smelled different but still wonderful as if her scent had been enhanced. Before he could contemplate the change, he was ripped away from his mate by a growling hissing clearly pissed off vampire.