Chapter 58

CHAPTER 58

5 days ago...

The doctor declared Lady Anna fit to leave the bedroom and well enough to be questioned. Cade and Anna clasped hands as Gideon began his inquiry in the main office. Dameon stood next to the window with a small scowl on his face. Worry ate at him. Being anywhere in the vicinity of an official, werewolf or otherwise, would make any rogue nervous.

Lady Anna and Cade had decided that no matter the consequence they would find a way to be together. They would plead their cause to the Vampire Council, the Royals, and even the High Council over all supernaturals. They would live as rogues if it came down to it. 

Gideon methodically asked his questions in a clinical sort of way that helped keep their minds off of the circumstances they faced. Occasionally asking Tracy, Jordan, or the doctor a question to confirm or clarify piece of the story. He asked a great deal of questions in regards to Jane Farlow's death. Tracy assumed that it was due to her being a vampire and that he would have to document her death.

Inquiry complete, he filled out the necessary forms. The door opened and Lucy stepped into the room. Her strange dark eyes glowed with a golden sheen. Tracy tried to figure out if it was a trick of the light reflecting off the gold jewelry she wore or just her natural eye color.

"Allow me to extend my condolences both to Cade and Lady Cloud and to you as well Lord Blood." She said sincerely.

Tracy's brows scrunched, Lord Blood? Gideon? I wonder what happened? She thought curiously.

"Since you are done with your official report I think that you best read this letter that I've been saving for you."

Gideon took the envelope from Lucy. Skimming over the contents, his usual stoic expression giving nothing away. Looking up he seemed perplexed.

"Where did you get this?"

"It was packed in the secret compartment on the sheath of the Ebony Sword."

Gideon raised a brow, "A real Ebony Sword? I didn't think they still existed."

"They do. I gave one of them to Lady Anna."

"How did you get one?" Gideon asked curiously.

"What does the letter say?" Lady Anna interrupted, more curious about the contents of the missive rather than the origins of an ancient artifact.

"Well Lady Cloud, this letter rescinds your placement as Successor of Lord Parrish." Lady Anna gasped and Cade began to smile, "Instead you have been named heir and appointee of Lady Jane Parrish."

"What does that mean?" Tracy asked.

"She officially married Lord Parrish before his demise. Jane became head of Dark Valley Coven but by appointing another to the role she basically handed the reigns of power to Lady Cloud. But now that... Jane..." Gideon hesitated as if he were having some difficulty speaking, he cleared his throat, "But now that Jane is gone. Anna is now the head of Dark Valley."

"I don't understand. Jane was completely against marrying him." Lady Anna said puzzled, "And she never mentioned this to me."

"She says in her letter that it was the only way he would take back his claim. As his official bride, Jane and not Anna would have had the only right of successor. In terms of your claiming of Cade Smythe, unorthodox as it is, it will not be a problem and will have the sanction of the vampire council and royals."

Both Cade and Anna wrapped their arms around each other. The relief and joy on their faces was marvelous and their excitement palatable. Everyone was happy for them.

"Bless Jane for all that she did. She sacrificed so much," Lady Anna said as tears of both sorrow and happiness rolled down her face. 

"It wasn't a sacrifice," Tracy said quietly, remembering Jane saying how Lady Anna was her Spirit Sister, "It was love."

Lady Anna wept openly as Gideon slipped silently away.

--------------

The cactus garden was just as intriguing as before. It felt as if every time you turned you around there was something new to see. The peaceful quiet was not why Tracy came here.

"Where have you been?" she asked tucking a strand of hair that had blown in front of her face from the gently warm breeze.

Lucy sat on a stone cut out bench under a palm tree shading her from the heat of the glaring sun, "Not far. Simply putting some things in order before we leave."

"You're coming with us?"

"Of course. There are seven swords. I had given Lady Anna one. The rest are hidden. It is time to retrieve them and then we must find the ones that can wield them. You are one, we need six others if we are to defeat Prince Grim."

"How did he escape and why is he back?" 

"He was release from his prison by a group that called themselves, The Prime Purity. No one knows who or what this group is but they were the ones who wanted the Journal and they'll stop at nothing to get what they want."

"What do they want?"

"The power to enforce their ideals on every creature in existence. Ivory White's writing have been their inspiration. The horror that they're willing to inflict is boundless. Their fanatically dedicated to their cause and Prince Grim is an ally that must be stopped." 

"Prince Grim will be handled by the royal guard as before. Tracy will not be fighting." Gideon cut in as he walked towards them. His scent was minty and it seemed weird to Tracy that she never really noticed it before now.

"I'm afraid that when the time comes there won't be much choice."

"No." Gideon said firmly, "She cannot fight! I can't lose her!"

"Um, what?" Tracy asked baffled at the concern and agitation in the vampire's mannerisms.

"Another time child. You must rest because tomorrow our journey to the council meeting begins then we have another passenger to pick up."

======================================

Hmm... wonder what's up with Gideon. 

Theories? I love to hear them but sorry can't give any spoilers away.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you notice any plot holes. 

Thanks!