Chapter Nine

Ilya and Natalie came into the house later and were surprised to see Jason, Zane, Todd and Jeff but no David.

'Where's Dave?' Natalie asked, causing the group to realize they had come inside.

'Well hello love birds! He wasn't feeling well so he's in his room,' Jason said with a smile.

'No love birds here Jason. Just good friends,' Ilya said with a genuine smile.

'Wait what?!' Zane called out.

'Jason why would you put be through the emotion turmoil of thinking my baby was with someone else when they aren't!?' He continued.

Jason rolled his eyes at Zane's behavior.

'I thought it went well! You guys all saw Nat! She looked so happy. What kind of sociopath looks that happy rejecting someone? No offense,' Jason said as the group laughed.

'None taken... I think?' Natalie answered.

'Okay well I'm going to go get the guest room ready for you Ilya, are you guys staying a while?' Natalie asked.

'No baby! We're going to Saddle Ranch! Wanna come?' Zane got up from the couch to pour himself another drink.

'I'm okay! Thanks though.' Natalie said with a smile.

'Yeah I'm good too. Busy day of travel and getting my heart broken y'know?' Ilya joked and Natalie hit him on his chest. Ilya laughed and held his hands up in surrender, showing he was just kidding.

'Well, I guess we will leave you two non love birds be!' Jeff said with a smile. Zane downed his drink and jumped on Todd who let out a small grunt and they all got up and left.

Natalie went into the guest room and made sure there were sheets on the bed, and gave Ilya fresh towels. She said goodnight and went out of the guest room and towards David's when she head Ilya call out.

'Nat! I am happy for you guys by the way. Truly.'

Natalie smiled, happy that she can still have one of her best friends around even after everything they've gone through.

'Thanks Il, and thanks for keeping our secret too. I know it's all a little crazy right now, but I just need a little more time.'

Ilya went back into the guest room and Natalie finished the rest of the walk towards David's room.

She knocked but there was no answer. She knocked again harder and tried the doorknob only to find it locked. She knocked for a third time when she heard David shuffle and call out.

'Jason I told you I didn't want to be bothered.'

'It's not Jason.' Natalie answered. She rested her head against the door and continued.

'Common Dave, let me in. Don't make me sleep on a beanbag chair outside your door,' just then the door opened and Natalie stumbled into his room. David caught her quickly and made sure she was steady on her feet before taking a step back and rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

Natalie looked at him slightly confused and went to take a step towards him and he countered with a step back. Hurt clearly showing on his face.

'If you're here to let me down gently it's okay.' David finally said.

'What are you talking about?' Natalie questioned as she took another step towards David that he retreated from again.

'About you and Ilya. If you're here to end things I get it.' David looked at the ground as he spoke.