Chapter Thirty Three

David walked through the crowd until he saw Ilya standing by the balcony doors.

'Hey man,' he spoke loudly to be heard over the music that had just been turned on, and rubbed the back of his neck.

'Can we talk?' David added and Ilya nodded his head. He opened the patio door and motioned for David to go onto the deck.

'Fuck dude, I'm so sorry about last night,' Ilya said as soon as he shut the patio door.

'I don't even know what happened. I heard Nat talking and thought you broke up with her or something and everything was just a blur from there,' Ilya clearly felt bad about what had happened and David stood there nodding his head as he listened to him speak.

'I'm not mad Il,' David started and Ilya's face contorted at the confusion he felt.

'Part of me gets it. You care about Nat, I can't really be mad about that,' he added and the two were silent for a little bit.

'Nat's worried she ruined our friendship,' David admitted and let out a little shiver at the cold air of Chicago.

'She would be concerned with something like that,' Ilya laughed, wondering how it's possible to be as sweet as Natalie was.

'Look, Ilya, I don't plan on ever not being with Natalie,' David admitted and rubbed the back of his neck again.

'What?' Ilya asked.

'I want to be with Nat forever. I hope I'm with Nat forever,' he added and Ilya pressed his lips together in a tight smile.

'And I know that must suck for you. I know this must hurt. But I really hope you can be okay with it, and maybe not punch me everything me and Nat have a fight,' David tried to joke and lighten the mood a little bit.

'I am happy for you guys! I told Nat that, and I meant it. Yeah it stings a little to know that you guys are together. But I think it's more about the fact that I have to come to terms with that I'll never be with her, not the fact that you're the one who is,' Ilya spoke slowly, making sure his words came out as intended.

'That's understandable,' David answered.

'I've actually be talking to someone,' Ilya confessed and David raised an eyebrow and smirked.

'Oh yeah? Who?' He asked excitedly.

'Her name is Michelle,' Ilya admitted and smiled slightly.

'She actually called the office, and I was the only one there that day, so we met and we're just talking. But yeah,' Ilya continued to speak and David smiled as he watched his friend.

'I'm trying.' Ilya added. And David knew what he meant. He was trying to get over Natalie and move on.

'I appreciate that,' David said.

'My face does as well,' he added. This time Ilya let out a laugh.

'Sorry again, want to punch me? Make it even?' Ilya chuckled as he offered.

'Nah, I'm good.' David raised his hand and Ilya went in to grasp in and the two hugged.

'Can we go inside now? It's fucking freezing out here,' David shivered as he spoke.

'Wimp, you're such a LA boy now,' Ilya joked but opened the door and lead David inside. The two boys joined the loud group inside. David could see Natalie laughing with Reggie and decided to let the two catch up. He loved how big her smile was and didn't mind admiring it from afar while she enjoyed her night.

Ilya and David teamed up for beer pong, with the agreement that Ilya drank for two and David didn't have to drink. David thought that would give them an advantage but they lost every game they seemed to play. Dima laughed as he sank another ball and Ilya let out a laugh before downing the contents in the cup.