Chapter Forty Seven

Natalie: just landed!

David: okay, have fun

Natalie: miss you already

Natalie waited for David to answer but it never came. She sighed slightly and put her phone in her pocket. She couldn't keep doing this to him. David was probably freaking out that Natalie was freaking out and it made her feel horrible.

'Nat!' Reggie called when he saw her waiting.

'Hey,' she smiled softly at him, accepting the hug he held his arms open for.

'Ready to go?' He asked and Natalie nodded her head and started the walk to his car. They drove in mostly silence. There was some small talk but Reggie got the sense that Natalie wasn't in the mood to talk. Once they had gotten to her moms house they watched a movie and ate dinner. It wasn't until Natalie's mom and sisters went to bed that Reggie finally said something.

'Okay, not that I'm complaining, but what the fuck are you doing here?' He asked and Natalie looked at him deeply before answering.

'David proposed,' she said quietly and quickly shushed when Reggie screeched.

'Oh my god! So why are you here? Where's David? Are you thinking about it?' Reggie asked at rapid fire and Natalie slowly took the necklace out from under her sweater and showed Reggie the ring.

'I already said yes,' she answered and Reggie fawned over the diamond.

'Holy. Fuck.' Reggie held the ring in his hand and Natalie leaned in closer because it was still attached to the necklace around her neck.

'So wait are you here to tell the fam? Where's David, shouldn't he be here?' Reggie asked more questions and then noticed tears welling in Natalie's eyes.

'I'm so confused Reggie,' she admitted and leaned in to hug him.

'I said yes, and was happy, and so excited. And then Carly and Erin started talking about how it's stupid to get engaged when you're in the honeymoon phase and I freaked out. I told him I need to think about things more, and that I didn't know if it was too soon. But I think I just hurt him. I'm always hurting him. He doesn't deserve that,' Natalie cried as she started to fill Reggie in on everything that had been happening.

'Okay, we're getting ahead of ourselves right now. First thing first, how did he ask?' Reggie looked at Natalie and noticed a small smile ghost on her face when she recalled.

'He took me to the observatory, and you could see the rings of Saturn. And apparently you can only see them every 15 years, and he said it was 15 years ago that he first saw me and knew he would love me forever,' she smiled and touched the ring hanging from her neck.

'Wow. If you let him go tell him to call me,' Reggie said and Natalie shook her head.

'I don't want to let him go,' she told him and Reggie nodded.

'Well that's a good sign. So why are you freaking out now? You said yes, that should be it?' Reggie asked and Natalie shrugged slightly.

'But we are in the honeymoon phase. I'm sure a couple months in I would have said yes if Shawn proposed. And David would probably have proposed to Liza too. It's easy right now,' Natalie said and Reggie rolled his eyes.

'Bullshit,' he said.

'What?'

'I said bullshit. If David wanted to propose to Liza he would have proposed to Liza. And we both know if Shawn has proposed after a couple months, or at all, you would have run so fast in the other direction there would have been a Natalie sized hole in the wall. So do you want to tell me what you're actually freaking out about?' Reggie stated. This is why Natalie needed to come home. Reggie wouldn't let her shut in on herself. He would tell it like it is and expect Natalie to do the same.

'I've never seen a successful marriage. I don't know how it works,' she mumbled and Reggie realized they were finally getting somewhere.

'What are you even taking about?'

'My parents split up when I was a kid. All I remember about their marriage was them fighting and yelling. Every marriage in my family has ended. I don't want things to end with David. So if we don't get married they won't?' Natalie phrased the last sentence like a question. Like she was finally realizing what she was stressing about.

'You realized that sounds fucking ridiculous right?' Reggie asked and Natalie laughed lightly.

'It does, doesn't it?' She said and once again brought her hand up to the ring around her neck. She took the necklace off and slipped the ring on her finger.

'I'm an idiot. Why did I put David through this?' She asked and out her face in her hands.

'Man, even you crying is beautiful with that ring on,' Reggie said and Natalie looked at her hand.

'I'm going to call him, one sec,' she stood up and walked to the side of the room, pulling her phone out and making a call. It rang twice before it cut off.

'He didn't answer,' Natalie whispered.

'What?' Reggie asked, not quite hearing her.

'He didn't answer,' she said again and Reggie stood up to go hug her.

'He's probably just sleeping, or out, or maybe,' Reggie started to give explanations but Natalie cut him off.

'Or maybe he got tired of me always pushing him away,' she said.

'I just need some air,' she said again and moved toward the front door. She got outside and stood on the porch taking deep breaths. Inside, Reggie had pull his phone out.

'Reggie?' A voice answered on the first ring.

'Hey, sorry to bug you but it's Nat, she's freaking out about David and I think if anyone could get through to her it's you,' Reggie explained.

'Where are you guys?'

'Her mom's,' Reggie looked through the window and Natalie visibly taking deep breathes.

'I'm on my way.'

'Thanks Ilya. See you soon.'