Chapter Twenty One

Natalie woke up on the couch, her head in David's lap. She fluttered her eyes open, and closed them again when she heard David speaking to someone.

'I was serious earlier Dave, this is the happiest I've ever seen you,' Natalie heard Jason say. She fought the smile that was threatening to show, wanting to eavesdrop a little longer.

'Can I be honest with you Jace?' David asked in return. He was mindlessly playing with Natalie's hair, running his fingers through it. Everyone had left at this point besides Jason.

'Of course dude,' Jason answered. Waiting for him to continue.

'I'm scared,' David stated. Natalie fought the urge to show her emotions on her face and waited for David to continue.

'I think I was in love with Nat the moment I saw her,' David started.

'No, I know I was in love with her the moment I saw her. She became so important to me so quickly, I swore I would do whatever I could to make her happy. And I don't think that's true anymore.'

'What are you talking about?' Jason asked. Confused as to where David could be going with this.

'When Ilya came here to confess his love to Natalie, she had told me I had nothing to worry about. But when I saw them in the backyard I thought she had changed her mind. And when she came to talk to me that night, I told her I understood and that while I was hurt I wanted her to be happy, and if that meant she was with Ilya and not me I would accept that.'

'But she turned Ilya down?' Jason questioned, still not sure where this conversation was going to lead.

'Yeah, she called me an idiot and told me that,' David laughed and Natalie turned in her "sleep" so her face was hidden more in David's lap so she could smile.

'That sounds like Nat!' Jason chuckled along.

'So why are you scared?' He asked David.

'I don't think I could give her up now.' David said plainly.

'Even if I knew she would be happier with someone else. Now that I have her, I don't think I could live with myself if I lost her.'

'David, don't be ridiculous, do you really think she's going anywhere?'

'Not right now, but what about later? What about when some great guy comes along and notices her? Because you know he would notice her. What about when she realizes she can do so much better than me?' David asked. His hands still playing with Natalie's hair, and she tensed a little a his admittance.

Did he really think she could do better than him? That she would even want to think about another guy when he was around?

'Dave, if you feel this way you should talk to her!' Jason told him.

'I know, I know I should talk to her. I just wanted to stay in our little bubble as long as possible. But then the plane happened and it was going down and all I could think about was Natalie. It was just like the earthquake. I didn't even care about anything else. I needed Natalie. I wanted to be okay for Natalie. I couldn't leave Natalie alone like that.'

Jason waiting for David to continue talking.

'And all you guys know now, which is great! I wanted everyone to know for so long, and we're going to go to Chicago and tell the rest of our friends and our families. It's literally everything I ever wanted. I am so so so happy. I just don't want it to end.'

Jason rolled his eyes, he sat up a little straighter and got ready to speak.

'Dave, don't be a fucking idiot. Look at that girl,' Jason pointed to Natalie and David tilted his head down to see her curled into him. Her arm had worked it's way behind him on the couch, and her fingers slipped under the hem on his shirt to touch the skin on his back. David couldn't help but smile when he looked at her.

'Does this look like someone who wants to leave? Yeah you don't know that a relationship will last. So what? All you can do is love her for as long as she'll have you, and thank god everyday that you do have her. Because a girl like this doesn't come along all the time.' Jason was talking animatedly with his hands.

'You two are literally perfect for each other. You balance the other so well it's scary. She is the only one who can bring you back to earth when you're going all "David" and you are the only one who is guaranteed to bring out the smile she has ready to break free. If you think that two people are made so perfectly for each other aren't meant to last I feel sorry for you. It will be work, and you'll fight and you're going to have to try hard to make it work sometimes, but if she's worth it, and I'm telling you David, she is, you're going to do what you have to.' Natalie nuzzled a little closer to David, failing to hide the smile that broke out on her face. Her thumb started to lazily stroke his back and David melted into the feeling.

'You're right. I don't plan on every letting something ruin this. I'm telling you now Jace, I'm going to marry this girl,' David smiled. Knowing Natalie was awake now, and wanting her to know his long term intentions.

Jason gave a little laugh and looked at David with a perplexed smile.

'Don't look at me like that! Okay so I'm not getting down on one knee right now, but what's the rush? We've got a lifetime,' David smiled and stroked Natalie's head.

'Thanks for the talk man, I don't know where my head was at.' David told Jason who smiled and told him it was no problem.