System

A/N: An important factor to aid your reading. [This is the system talking]. {This is the system thinking}

In the pitch darkness, all was silent and still. The void felt so peaceful yet worrying- like gently falling into a bottomless pit. The silence and soft gentleness might put you at ease... but won't you worry about the unknown?

Starfire slowly opened her eyes as though just waking up from a sweet slumber. She stretched her body as it felt so stiff, before looking around to observe where she was. Everything was dark and she couldn't even see her own body.

'Wait... I remember that bomb exploding... do I still even have a body?' she thought as she wondered for a brief second if some mad scientist had managed to salvage her brain and put her through some weird experiment when a voice suddenly sounded in the darkness.

[You are not in some experiment. You just died human.] It said as two white dots appeared in the darkness. Perhaps the unknown entity's eyes? 

It observed Starfire as she paused for a second, expecting her to lament her death after the information sunk in but instead she let out a sigh of relief.

"Phew! I'm not in a weird scientist's game," she said, relieved and the unknown entity let out a sound of confusion.

Starfire looked at the two white dots that were the only source of colour in the dark void and shrugged. "Well, life was boring anyway, so this is way more fun! I even got to such an unusual place," she said with a smile as she twirled around to gesture to the space around her.

{I have never heard a human who is sane saying that it is fun to die.} The entity shivered at the thought. {Scary.}

Starfire tried looking around again before asking, "So where am I anyway? And who or what exactly are you?"

[This is a space- almost like a waiting room, where I am meant to inform you about what is going on] It said and Starfire nodded, gesturing for it to continue. 

[So yes, you are dead. I am a system who helped you and now you will be going from world to world to complete quests and-] The system was cut off from its listings as Starfire laughed.

"Really?~ That sounds like a lot of fun. I accept!" She said with a grin that took the system aback.

[But I didn't even...]

"Mhm?" She rose a brow and the system just went silent, deciding to sulk in its mind instead.

{She didn't even allow me to tell her the reward she gets after...} If it could, it would have gone to a dark corner in the space to crouch there and sulk. {I couldn't even brag about myself and how powerful I am to bring her from the dead...} 

Starfire noticed the system was silent for a long while and the two dots seemed to have dimmed in sadness. 'Could it have not wanted to be interrupted?' Starfire thought as she stared at it and decided to comfort it with praises as compensation.

"Oh my!" she gasped and the system's attention was fully drawn back to her. "I will have you know that you are very powerful in my book for being able to bring me this much fun!" she said with a sweet smile but rather than the system getting comforted, it felt more depressed instead.

{She didn't even praise me for bringing her here but instead for letting her have fun... what type of praise is that?} The system grumbled in its mind. Little did it know that the compliment was a very special one in Starfire's book.

[Anyway] It started, tossing its depression out the window so it could complete its work.[Since you accepted, l am now your system and you are my host. I will take you to your personal system space now.]