Chapter 19: Titan

The city of the Mushroom Kingdom was as peaceful as it could be. Children were playing on their playgrounds, the parents talking to each other. People who were on their lunch break at work were getting a nice cup of coffee. One man took a sip from his drink and when he set it down, he noticed a few ripples form. Then again, and again. Off in the distance, rumbling could be heard, as if something large was walking. The rumbling could be heard getting louder and closer, which means that whatever it is. it's moving towards them.

Cars parked on the side of the street. Children stopped playing, the adults stopped talking. And just like that, the rumbling stopped as well. Until a large boulder flew overhead and crashed into multiple buildings, destroying them. Panic grew across the city, and people began running once fiends began making their move, entering the city and hunting down anything that moves.

~~~~~

You were sitting on the couch, Meggy and Desti had taken their respective spots beside you. Saiko and Tari were still asleep from last night's party. You weren't doing much but silently watching TV. Suddenly the TV went static, and an emergency broadcast was shown.

Reporter: I am at the scene in Mushroom City. Something has caused a city-wide panic and fiends have entered the city as well! We don't know what the cause is, but everyone in, or at the city perimeter is advised to evacuate! I repeat, evacuate as soon as you- OH MY GOD!

A fiend pounced on the reporter and the screen went to static again. You, Meggy and Desti sat there for a moment before everything sank in. It was time. The three of you quickly woke everyone up and explained what was going on. SMG4 quickly got everyone aboard the Deathbus. The plan for everyone was simple. Tari, Boopkins, Bob and SMG4 would be in charge of evacuating the city. Saiko, Meggy and Desti would be the ones directly fighting the fiends during the evacuation, keeping the running citizens safe. 

While this would be going on, you, Mario, Luigi and Bowser will take care of Titan. Luigi was scared of course, but you and Mario managed to persuade him. You, Mario and Luigi pile into The Regalia and drive off, the Deathbus following close behind. After making it to the city, you saw the damage. Buildings were in rubble, fire was everywhere. And of course, the bodies of people littered the streets.

You heard rumbling come from the way you came, and it was moving farther.

Y/n: Mario, Luigi, Bowser! I'm dropping you off here. Help the others with the evacuation, and come back to the castle when you are done.

The three nodded, and you stopped. Letting them out, you quickly turn around and go back to the castle. You sped past the Deathbus, getting confused looks from everyone. You drove quickly and once you got over the hill, you saw him. A large humanoid of a behemoth. He pulled his fist back, and punched straight through the castle.

Y/n: NO!!! PEACH!!!

Your outburst got the attention of the behemoth. He turned to you and you got out of the car. You ran and threw your Engine Blade over to the next hill. As soon as you became physical again, Titan was already charging at you. He jumped and pulled his fist back, prompting you to warp out of the way again. The tremor that was caused by the impact of his fist hitting the ground was enough to knock you down. After gaining your footing again, you got ready. He pulled his fist back once more, but this time, you heard Somnus's voice.

Somnus: Do not worry, Y/n. The power of Kings are always with you. Our strength together will be able to rival that of even a God. All you need is to ask.

Y/n: Please, help me. Give me the strength to defend my home!

Power surged within you. Your eyes began to glow red. You held your hand out and called forth the Blade of the Mystic. You held it at the ready and when Titan punched, you managed to block it with your new strength and managed to push the fist back. Once again you managed to block another fist and pushed that one back. This time he staggered backwards.

Somnus: Do you see that black mass on his face?

Y/n: Yes, what is it?

Somnus: That is the reason why Titan is on this rampage. It isn't him. He's been daemonified by a powerful general. The ring has a spell known as Holy. Get up to the source and cast it, hurry!

You hold the sword in front of you as four spectral versions of the blade appear and launch themselves at Titan. The blades hit Titan and made him stagger more. Next you threw the Blade of the Mystic at Titan's head and warped. You plunge your sword into Titan next to the black substance and place your hand on it.

Y/n: Holy!

Titan roared in pain as the Light began eating away at the daemonic energy. He recovered enough to grab you and throw you back down. You hit the ground and roll for a bit.

Tari: Y/n!

You look to see everyone had returned.

Mario: Mama-mia.

Meggy: Our home...

Y/n: We can grieve later! Titan's getting back up!

True to your word, Titan got back up. Some of the substance had gone down, but not by much. You just need more time. A plan started forming in your head.

Y/n: Bowser, how high can you jump?

Bowser: Um... Really high.

Y/n: And Saiko, how far can you launch me with your hammer?

Saiko: High enough. What are you planning?

Y/n: You'll see.

When Titan got up, he pulled his arm up and went brought his arm down. Everyone dodged and you aimed your hand at the arm.

Y/n: Blizzard!

A giant cloud of ice formed around Titan's arm, freezing it entirely.

Y/n: Now, Saiko!

She brought her hammer down on the ground and you jumped on it. She swung it and launched you upwards. Bowser jumped up and met you in mid-air.

Y/n: Throw me at the arm!

He grabbed you and pulled back, before launching you at the arm. You summoned the Shield of the Just and held it in front of you. You felt the collision and the shattering of Titan's arm. He fell back in pain, and warped up to his hand. After shouting Holy once more, a bright light blinded everyone for a moment before vanishing. You warped back to everyone and Titan began to sit up again. Without the substance on his face. He started speaking a language you couldn't understand.

Y/n: I'm sorry?

Titan: Forgive me, for a moment I thought you were Bahamut. Thank you for releasing me from Ifrit's control. The traitor had sent a general to persuade me, but I refused. He daemonified me and took control of my mind. I am sorry for the damage I have caused.

Titan began to shine, and then he disappeared.

~~~~~

Days passed after the attack. Peach had managed to escape the castle before Titan attacked the castle. She held a speech at the city.

Peach: To all citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom, I will start off by saying I am very sorry for everyone's loss. But today, we learned something. War is soon on the horizon. The powerful god, Ifrit has awakened. After hundreds of years of peace, we must once again take up arms against his armies. It was done once more, it can be done again. 

Everyone cheered at Peach's speech, but she had more to say.

Peach: But it will not be I who will lead us. No, I am stepping down as ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom and returning this land to its rightful ruler. From now on, this nation will be known as the Kingdom of Lucis, and this city, Insomnia. With your new ruler, King Y/n Lucis Caelum, the 115th King of Lucis!

Slowly, but surely, everyone began cheering for you, their new ruler. You looked out at YOUR Kingdom. YOUR people. And they looked at you, as their hope. Their Light in the Darkness.