Chapter 31: Gilgamesh

You sped down the road, the sound of the engine the only noise heard around you. All the other cars outside the city were abandoned on the side of the road. Averting your eyes from the destruction and debris, you keep your eyes on the road.

The guilt you feel for losing continues to rise. You were escorted to another car in the city since they didn't want to risk taking the Regalia and you getting captured or worse. The things you saw...

You couldn't get those images out of your head. All the crimes people committed because of your loss. Your mind couldn't stop going to your lovers, and all that happening to them. You can't let that happen.

You won't let that happen. You will get stronger and get the ring back from Ardyn, stop Eggman and his Magitek army, rebuild Inkopolis, and rule your Kingdom with your family. You feel the terrain change from the roads of the city to the rocky roads outside. Halfway into your journey, the replacement car sputters and pops, then the engine turns off.

You try to start it again for the next several minutes, but nothing. You get out and begin to walk. Walk, walk and walk some more, until off in the distance, you see the entrance of a cave.

Y/n: Is that it? Please let it be it.

Entering the cave, there was a small puddle of water. Rushing to it, you begin to take handfuls of water and drink, it looked clean enough. Looking up, there were runes and swords embedded into the ground and walls.

Y/n: If this isn't the cave I'm looking for, I'm gonna be pissed.

You walk further into the cave, the further you go in, the more paranoid you become. Voices whisper in your ear, telling you to turn back. You see things in the corner of your eye, but when you look to see what it was, it disappears.

Summoning the Engine Blade, you raise it in preparation in case something attacks. Entering a large Cavern, you see a man at the end of the room. He appears to be wearing a full suit of armor, and is missing an arm.

Y/n: You must be Gilgamesh?

The man turns around, his shining white eyes staring into yours.

Gilgamesh: And that would make you, the King. Bahamut informed me of your arrival.

Y/n: Then there's no need for any introductions or monologues. Let's just get started!

Gilgamesh: No. You are not yet ready to face me.

You were surprised to hear him say that. But that surprise quickly turned to anger.

Y/n: What do you mean by that? No, really, what the hell does that mean!? Do you have any idea what I've been through?! I have fought and beaten two gods! I'm sure I can beat you!

Without thinking, you rush forward, gripping the hilt hard. You jump and swing your sword down, Gilgamesh pulled a sword out of the ground and effortlessly overpowered you. He slammed you to the ground and placed his foot on your chest, putting the tip of the sword against your throat.

Gilgamesh: You. Are. Not. Ready. I'll be the first to tell you boy, that fighting me with brute force alone will not work.

He moves the sword from your throat, and kicks you down the cave.

Gilgamesh: Do you understand now, why you are not ready?

You slowly get up onto your knees. Nodding at his question.

Gilgamesh: Good. I understand that you want power, vengeance against Ardyn. But going down that path will lead to destruction.

He drops the sword he was holding and moves to pick up another sword. This one was ancient, rusted, and the blade was broken. Next, he waves his hand and a rock moves, revealing another path further in the cave.