Legacies

Lex

It's said all families have legacies. Our legacies were infamous. Everyone knew us, including generations. Grammy Gray left one hell of a legacy to us.

Brody pulled up to the site. Piper and I got out of the police car.

"Presley!" I shouted, searching for our boy.

"Presley!" Piper yelled frantically.

We looked everywhere, then saw Presley as he helped a little girl at the back of the ambulance. We ran over to him. Presley turned as we crashed into him.

"Thank god you're alive," I said, hugging Presley.

"Pops, I'm fine. We had an incident, but I got this little girl out," Presley said, pulling away from me.

I looked at Presley as soot-covered him. He looked at the little girl. "You keep breathing the oxygen, and someone will bring your mommy to you," Presley assured the little girl. She nodded. Presley looked at us. "I'm okay," Presley reassured us as we furrowed our brows. "Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked us.

I looked at Piper as she looked at me. Brody walked over to us.

"Presley," Brody said.

"Hey, cuz. Do you think you can find this little girl's mommy?" Presley asked.

"Yeah, but there's something I need to tell you," Brody said.

"Give me a minute. I need to find Eliza," Presley said as we heard a gurney wheeled towards us. We turned to see paramedics rolling a stretcher with a body covered with a blanket.

"Presley," Brody said as Presley looked at the gurney, then noticed the coat. He walked past us over to the stretcher and lifted the blanket.

"No," Presley said. He lowered the blanket. "Oh, God, no," he said, his voice breaking. "Eliza!" Presley screamed as I made my way to Presley. "Get away from her!" Presley screamed, shoving people away. I grabbed Presley and looked at him. He looked at me as he broke. "Pops."

"I know," I said as I pulled Presley to me, holding him. He gripped my shirt, sobbing.

Is it wrong that I'm glad that Presley survived?

Presley

People spoke to me, but I blocked them out. I stared at the gurney as they lifted Eliza's body into the rig. I didn't know how to feel.

"Honey, let's go home," Ma suggested.

My feet moved, but I couldn't focus. Brody drove us back to the house. We arrived and went inside to find the family waiting for us. My brothers rushed me and hugged me as I stood there.

"Thank god, you're okay," Payton said.

"Yeah, we thought you perished," Parker mentioned.

"Nothing takes down a Gray," Pat remarked.

"That's our job," Pax added, smirking.

I looked at my brothers and said nothing.

"Presley," Grandpa said as I reached the bottom step.

I had my back to everyone. "Eliza's dead," I said, shocking everyone. I went upstairs.

Everyone looked at Pops and Ma.

"A part of the building collapsed, trapping Eliza and cutting off her oxygen tank. She died from smoke inhalation," Brody told everyone.

"Oh, my, that poor boy," Grammy said, stunned.