Listen, crazy-ass

Presley

The weather started changing as the air became brisker and biting. Who am I kidding? It was freaking cold, and it snowed. Our crazy weather can't decide. One minute, the leaves changed colors, and its hoodie weather, then the next day, you're wearing a parka.

I was sleeping since I didn't have class and didn't need to report to the station. With everything that happened, I was catching up on some sleep. Well, that was until my brothers let Kaylee in to surprise me.

As I snoozed, Kaylee thought it would be cute to take snow and shove it down my shorts. The coldness startled me awake, and I saw Kaylee laughing. Yeah, I don't think so. I scrambled out of bed and chased her downstairs, past my brothers, and outside, forgetting a significant detail. I was only in my boxer briefs. Yeah, that alerted me quickly.

I ran back into the house, past my brothers. There were roaring with laughter, and up to my bedroom - tools. I grabbed a pair of sweats, pulling them on, then pulled on a hoodie. That is much better.

I sat down on my bed as Kaylee knocked on my door. I looked at her unamused.

"I thought we could hang out today," Kaylee suggested.

I shoved my hands into my hoodie pockets and curled my legs on the bed as I sat there. "And you couldn't shake me lightly and ask? You had to shove snow down my shorts," I remarked with an arched eyebrow.

"What fun is that? I prefer a surprise wake up call," Kaylee replied, grinning.

"Listen, crazy-ass, no guy likes snow in his drawers. It causes little man to turn into a turtle," I commented, making Kaylee laugh.

Kaylee walked over to the bed and sat down next to me. "So would this be a terrible time to ask you to come to dinner with me at my dad's house?" Kaylee asked sheepishly.

I looked at Kaylee strangely. "Your dad hates me," I reminded her.

"Dad doesn't hate you. He had issues that he needed to handle. Plus, my dad promised to be on his best behavior," Kaylee blurted, covering her mouth with her hands.

I looked at her incredulously. "Are you kidding me?" I questioned.

Kaylee lowered her hands. "I figure if I talk to my dad and explained things, then it would be easier to talk to you," Kaylee reasoned.

"Your logic escapes me. When?" I asked, not thrilled with dinner with the chief.

"Tonight," Kaylee added, smiling.

That is fantastic. There's nothing like having your girl drop last-minute plans on you, especially when it involves someone who hates you.

Kaylee and I hung out for a while; then, I went back to bed. I slept for thirty minutes until my phone rang. I reached over and grabbed it, then answered it. "Hello?" I mumbled.

"I need you down at the station," Caleb told me.

"Okay," I mumbled, hanging up the phone. I fell back to sleep. Then my eyes opened, and I got out of bed. I threw on some boots and a coat, then went to the station. I walked in to see a few of the guys working and made my way to Caleb's office.

I knocked on the door. Caleb looked up at me while on the phone and waved me into the office. I walked over and sat down in a chair as he finished the phone call. He got up from his chair, walking to the door, closing it, then walked over to his desk.

"I reviewed your file and training. After this semester of school, the station is promoting you to driver engineer," Caleb told me, surprising me.

"I don't know what to say," I said, looking at Caleb.