Happy anniversary, Patty and Nate

Maggie

We got back, and everyone got settled. The boys went to pick up family members from the airport. The girls and I checked the hall to make sure everything is ready. Lyric and Larkin brought the cake and desserts. Lakin and Luna helped Lex and Nash with the food.

We made sure we had everything set for Pat and Nate. We wanted one big family celebration for them. Nash walked over to me.

"It looks great. You did a wonderful job," Nash complimented me.

"Pat and Nate deserve a party and the best. They offered me a family when my parents discarded me," I mentioned.

Nash pulled me to him and kissed me.

"Nixon! My love!" We heard Marco yell.

"For the last time, I'm not gay!" Nixon yelled.

"Denial! Denial! Denial!" Marco yelled.

Nash and I laughed as Marco walked over and hugged me. Jasper shook Nash's hand.

"Geez, there's no hug for me?" Paul asked. Jasper and Marco hugged Paul, then I hugged him.

"We're going to get settled, then we'll see you tomorrow," Jasper told me.

"The party starts at three," I reminded the guys. They nodded, then left.

I looked at Nash as he looked at me and chuckled.

"Hey, look who we found wandering around lost," Nathan said as he and Noah walked in with Jace.

"I'm not lost, and my brother is slow as a snail," Jace joked.

"Yo, dipshit! A little help here," Jaime yelled as we laughed. Jace walked over and removed a bag off of Jaime's shoulder.

"Hey, I found some stragglers," Nolan said as the triplets followed him over to us.

"Well, Magazine, you did an outstanding job," Caleb commented. I looked at Caleb strangely as he laughed. "Hey, Maggie." Caleb hugged me, then Carson and Cody.

"Thank you for helping Presley. We worried about him after Eliza died," I told Jaime and Caleb.

"That's what family does for each other. We would do the same for you," Jaime told me.

I looked at the brothers and cousins as they nodded. I couldn't help but smile. I might have gone rounds with the Gray family, but they were the best family to be a part of while growing up.

I checked my phone and looked at Nash.

"I'm on it," Nash said, leaving.

"Where's he going? Is Nash skating on his duties?" Nixon questioned.

"No, we have a special present for Pat and Nate," I answered. Everyone looked at me oddly, but sometimes we need a blast from the past. I wanted to do something special for Pat, and Nash loved it.

Sometimes life gives you people who don't care about you so you can receive people who do. Nate and Pat offered me a home and family when my parents abandoned me. I grew up next door to the troublemaking Gray brothers and married one. I think the universe knew what it was doing.

Patty

I helped Nate get ready for the party. Jonas and Cayson left before us. Once we finished, Nate looked at me. "How do I look?" Nate asked me.

"You look handsome as the day I married you," I answered.

"Betty Crocker, you have a way with words," Nate told me.

"Well, Grease Monkey, I had a lot of inspiration," I reasoned.

Nate chuckled and pulled me into a kiss. I still love Nate as much as I did when I was four. Most people wouldn't understand our age difference, but they didn't need to understand it. It worked for us. Lucille knew because the woman was brilliant.

We left the bedroom as Nash and Maggie took us to the hall. It would be nice to see some family. I didn't expect everyone to come. I know people get busy with their lives.

We pulled up to the entrance, and I got out of the car. I helped Nate out of the vehicle as Nash helped me. Maggie opened the door. We entered and heard. "Surprise!"

We stopped, and I stood there, shocked. The entire family was here, including friends. Oh, who am I kidding? Everyone is family.

"Pat, we have a surprise for you," Maggie told me.

I looked at Maggie, mouth agape.

"Hey, Patty!" Liz yelled.

I gasped, putting my hands over my mouth. Liz and Danny walked towards me. I hugged both of them.

"Peppermint Patty," Danny whispered in my ear.

I pulled back and gave my brother a look. Danny smirked. Thanks a lot, Danny. Now, I know where Jonas got it.

"I can't believe you're here," I told Liz.

"And miss celebrating your happiness with the neighbor boy who you denied liking," Liz reminded me.

"I didn't deny it. I thought someone else was special," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, a special tool," Nate added, making us laugh.

"Well, I had the chance to spend many years with my grease monkey," I said, looking at Nate and smiling.

"And Betty Crocker didn't kill me with her cooking. I say it's a win-win," Nate commented, making everyone laugh.

People came over to greet us, and we made our rounds, saying hi to everyone. Brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews with extended family. I could ask for a better party than this one.

We ate as I reminisced about when I was a kid growing up with the Grays. I thought of when Maggie came to live with us along with the family vacation in Hawaii. What happened to the kids when they went to college. I thought about weddings, births, tears, and laughter, and everything in between that happened. I smiled, watching everyone. I know Lucille would love how everything turned out for everyone.

People worry about Matthew, but I feel his story isn't over yet. A mother knows these things.

"Attention, ladies, and gentlemen! We have a few people that want to share something with the happy couple!" The DJ announced.

The lights went out; then the music started playing as the lights came on. We watched the boys dance as the cousins joined them. I moved in my seat, watching the boys dance. Then we watched the grandkids join along with the great-grandkids as they danced in a formation.

"Well, the boys know how to dance," Nate mentioned.

I looked at Nate. "Because they had a superb teacher," I replied, smiling. Nate leaned over and kissed me.

"Thank you, Patty," Nate said.

"For what?" I asked curiously.

"For everything," Nate answered, smiling.

I smiled, then kissed Nate again.

In our lives, we meet people who, one day, become family. They make us laugh and cry while giving us hope and courage. Our family gives us our legacy and immortality. We all need people like the Gray family in our lives. I'm glad that I had that chance. Thank you, Lucille, for the opportunity to be a part of your family. I will cherish it forever.