A romantic Valentine's Day

Presley

Since Valentine's Day arrived and Kaylee was recuperating, I planned a night in for us. My brothers had plans with their significant others, which left the house to Kaylee and me.

I put time and effort into dinner, movies, candy, flowers, and anything else romantic. I wanted to cover all my bases because it would suck if I didn't. Most people consider it a commercial day, but I like to make my girl feel special, especially after what happened.

Kaylee came downstairs to see flowers, balloons, a teddy bear, and candy.

"What's this?" Kaylee asked me, pointing at the items.

"I wanted to make Valentine's Day special for you," I said.

I heard a knock at the door and answered it. I paid the pizza delivery guy, then took the pizza box and a two-liter of pop. After I closed the door, I brought both over to the coffee table.

"I thought we could eat pizza and watch movies," I mentioned, setting the pizza box down.

Kaylee walked over and sat down on the couch. She lifted the lid as I put a movie into the Blu-ray player, then joined her.

"Nothing says I love you like a deluxe pizza," Kaylee said, biting into the slice of pizza.

"Yeah, I like to spice things up," I joked, making Kaylee giggle.

We ate and talked.

"I'm sorry that we couldn't go out," Kaylee apologized.

"No one says you have to go out to spend time together. Plus, it's more special than going to some fancy restaurant," I replied.

"Did you do this for many girls?" Kaylee asked me.

"Well, I got caught by a girl's dad and almost had my nuts chopped off. I had to call Parker to rescue me, then the bakery burned down," I answered.

"How did the bakery burn down?" Kaylee asked me.

"Out of all that, you asked me about the bakery?" I questioned.

"It's not my fault you were a lothario as a kid," Kaylee said, shrugging.

I rolled my eyes.

"Parker thought it was a candle, but the wiring was bad," I explained.

"It sounds like you had an eventful childhood growing up," Kaylee remarked.

"We had our moments. It wasn't bad, and I couldn't imagine not having my brothers. You have a special bond with each other that no one understands," I reasoned.

"Unless you have a brother," Kaylee said with a knowing look.

I looked at Kaylee and nodded. She got it. Most people didn't, but you wouldn't if you didn't grow up with a brother.

I picked up the remote and pressed play.

David, I told you to watch your sister.

I was watching Kaylee, Dad, David said.

Kaylee sat forward as I watched her.

Then why is your sister covered in mud?

Because she played in the mud, David shrugged.

Kevin, you leave the boy alone. Come on, Kaylee. Let's clean you up.

Okay, mommy.

Kaylee watched the home movies that her dad gave me. I watched her wipe her cheeks. As we sat there and watched the film, Kaylee smiled and laughed. I knew she missed her mom and brother.

After a few hours, the video ended.

"Where did you get this?" Kaylee asked me.

"I asked your dad if he had home movies for you to watch. I wanted a special Valentine's gift for you," I answered.

"That was the sweetest thing anyone ever did for me. When I was in the hospital, I wanted my mom," Kaylee said as I looked at her. "I wanted her to tell me everything would be okay." Kaylee's voice cracked.

Kaylee wiped her eyes, and I got up from the couch. I walked over to the door and opened it. I waved someone through as the person walked over to the sofa and sat down next to Kaylee.

Kaylee looked at Ma.

"I know that I'm not your mom, and no one can replace her, but perhaps I could step in for you," Ma reasoned.

Kaylee cried as Ma wrapped her arms around her while Pops stood next to me. He looked at me.

"How did you know?" Pops asked me.

"Because every child needs their mom when they get hurt," I answered.

Pops nodded as we watched Ma consoled Kaylee.

Kaylee

I buried my head into Piper as she hugged me. I missed my mom. It felt good to have a mom comfort you when you need it.

Piper let go of me. "Do you feel better than you did?" She asked me.

"Much better," I answered.

"I don't know how it feels to lose a parent, but I know how it feels to be a mom. You love your children unconditionally. They know what your heart sounds like on the inside," Piper reasoned.

"My mom said the same thing to me. She also said that one day, I would meet the guy for me," I said. "He would know what I needed without me telling him."

"Your mom sounded like a wise woman," Piper replied.

"She was incredible," I mentioned. Piper and I talked for a while. It was nice having a woman to talk to and not my dad.

Presley

My brothers came home with their significant others and saw Ma. Yeah, they rushed her, tackling her. Pops had to pull them off.

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" Payton asked Ma.

"Presley asked if I would come and see Kaylee," Ma answered.

"What are we? Chopped liver?" Parker questioned.

"I never fed you boys liver and gross," Ma said, making a face.

Pops leaned in and whispered, "Yeah, your ma hates liver and threw the plate at me when I made it for dinner once."

I chuckled.

"That is not the point. We missed you," Pat scolded Ma.

"Oh?" Ma questioned Pat.

"Yeah, you're our ma," Pat reasoned.

"Do you know how long it is before we see you?" Pax asked.

"I have an idea," Ma mentioned, smiling. "Sometimes, someone needs a mom when theirs isn't available." Ma glanced at Kaylee.

"I guess we can share," a Payton reasoned.

"Yeah, I don't mind," Parker agreed.

"There are always exceptions to the rule," Pat added.

My brothers and Ma looked at Pax.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt," Pax finished.

Ma sat down next to Kaylee as everyone found a seat in the living room. My brothers understood why this was important and didn't argue. When you share an experience as we did, you learn to bend.

My brothers didn't mention what happened, not because they didn't care, but they did. When you remind someone always about a situation they had, you can't move forward, and it takes longer to heal.

What happened changed each of us? We understood things better, and kindness goes a long way. I couldn't imagine my life without my brothers, and I didn't want to, ever.