It's a college thing

Presley

While everyone enjoyed homecoming weekend, the Chief scheduled me to work alone. I restocked my rig and made sure I had enough first aid items. I counted inventory and cleaned up the station.

"Gray," the Chief said, getting my attention.

I stopped sweeping and looked at the Chief.

"Make sure you clean the bathrooms along with the kitchen," the Chief ordered.

I sighed as I finished sweeping, then cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen. Martinez came out of the bedroom and found me finishing my cleaning detail. He leaned on the counter with his palms.

"You know the chief is giving you the shit jobs to make you quit," Martinez told me.

"That's your opinion," I mumbled as I folded a towel.

"No, that's the truth. The Chief only kept you because of your uncle Cayson. I guess your family is afraid you will crack up," Martinez mentioned smugly.

"I'm seeing a doctor, and another doctor cleared me. Thanks for your concern," I retorted.

Martinez walked towards me, coming face-to-face with me.

"You got an attitude about you. One day, it will get you killed with your cowboy ways," Martinez goaded me.

"The only cowboy I see here is you. You had more write-ups than most of the crew here. I would watch yourself," I warned.

"What will you do about it, pretty boy?" Martinez questioned, pushing me.

I maintained my cool, but Martinez kept goading me until I snapped and hit him.

"Gray!" The Chief yelled as I looked at him.

Martinez wiped the corner of his mouth with his thumb. The Chief walked towards me.

"I will not tolerate fighting in my house. Your temper will get others killed," the Chief told me.

"Martinez started it," I replied.

"But you were the one that hit Martinez," the Chief responded.

"Wait. Are you taking Martinez's side?" I questioned, pointing at Martinez.

"What do you think?" The Chief asked me.

I looked at the chief incredulously.

"Punch out and go home. I'm suspending you for three days. One more outburst, and you can turn in your uniform," the Chief scolded me.

I shook my head and left the kitchen, clocking out, and went home. The Chief has always hated me and wanted to find a reason to kick me out of his station. Martinez gave him a motive and opportunity.

I walked up to the house to see everyone hanging outside.

"I thought you were working?" Payton asked.

"I was, but the chief suspended me for three days," I answered, surprising my brothers and the others.

"For what?" Parker asked incredulously.

"For hitting a co-worker," I answered.

Everyone looked at me with confusion.

"Something isn't right. You don't hit someone for the hell of it. That's our job," Patton mentioned. Pax nodded in agreement.

"I finished cleaning the kitchen, and Martinez came in, claiming the Chief kept me because of Uncle Cayson. He said Uncle Cayson didn't want me to crack up along with my family," I said, shrugging.