A blast from the past

Presley

I returned to the station after my three-day suspension. When I arrived, everyone was there except for Martinez and Chief Hayes. I walked over to Cass and Kaylee.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"We don't know yet. Everyone received a message to report to the station. Didn't you get the message?" Cass asked me.

"No, I figured my suspension is over and see if I still have a job," I answered.

We stood there, talking amongst ourselves when someone walked into the station house.

"I'm glad everyone listens," someone announced.

Everyone turned, and I saw Caleb walking towards us dressed in a uniform.

"My name is Captain Caleb Gray. I will oversee the station now," Caleb told us.

We all stood there.

"I will re-evaluate each member of the station and require recertifications," Caleb informed everyone.

Lindsey raised his hand.

"Yes," Caleb said.

"What happened to Chief Hayes?" Lindsey questioned.

"The administration put Chief Hayes on an indefinite leave pending an investigation. Any more questions?" Caleb asked.

"What about Martinez?" Cass asked.

"They have released Diego Martinez from duty, pending an investigation to allegations," Caleb answered.

We all looked at each other, surprised.

"Look, I understand you worked with both people, but first responders rely on trust and proficiency in the field. People's lives depend on it. If you have an issue, there's the door," Caleb said, pointing at the opening of the station.

I watched a few guys leave. The rest stayed.

"That saves me time on dismissing people. Now, I will start with you," Caleb mentioned, pointing to me. "Follow me."

Caleb walked past me, and I sighed. I followed him to the office. We went inside, and he closed the door. I sat down in a chair in front of the desk. Caleb sat behind the counter and opened the file. He flipped through it, and I waited.

"From your files, it seems you're a screw-up. You came back from a three-day suspension for striking a co-worker. That says you have anger issues," Caleb remarked, looking up from my file. "How is Maggie? Does she still have a mean left-hook?"

Great, now I get to deal with the family member that has a grudge against Nana. First, it's Chief Hayes and now, Caleb. I can't win for trying. I gave Caleb a look. If he plans on firing me, I wish he would do it.

"Relax, Presley. Whatever happened between your Nana and me, I deserved it. Plus, we were kids," Caleb explained.

I looked at Caleb and furrowed my brows.

"This file," Caleb said, holding up my file, "is junk." I watched Caleb toss it into a trash can.

I looked at Caleb with confusion.

"I will be honest with you. Whatever Chief Hayes reported was inaccurate. I checked with your former instructors and other stations. Each one said you showed exemplary service while Eliza Shields didn't. Why did you cover for her?" Caleb asked me.

I looked at Caleb as he looked at me.

"Presley, I know Eliza was your girlfriend, but covering for someone's mistakes can hurt an innocent person, or someone will die. Our job is to save people. We can't do that if we cover for someone's mistake," Caleb reasoned.