The day after

Presley

The next morning, I woke up next to Kaylee. She woke up and looked at me.

"Morning," I said, rubbing my eyes.

"Morning," Kaylee yawned.

"How did you sleep?" I asked, lying there.

"Not bad, although it helps when you have a good workout," Kaylee answered while smirking.

I rolled my eyes as Kaylee giggled.

"You have a dirty mind," I commented.

"It's better than a clean one. Plus, it makes life more fun," Kaylee remarked.

My phone rang, and I answered it.

"Yeah?" I asked as the person spoke. Kaylee looked at me. "Yeah, you give us a few minutes," I replied, then hung up. I put my phone down.

"Who was that?" Kaylee asked me.

"Hathaway asked if we wanted to grab coffee with her, Lindsey, and Cass," I answered.

"They must have come off the night shift. Cap had to rearrange everyone's shifts because of the lawsuit. He's making everyone work rotating shifts so that no one yells discrimination," Kaylee told me.

"That is bullshit. Hathaway is a distinct race, and so is Cass," I replied.

"So are others at the station. I think Martinez is trying to cover his ass for all the shit he pulled," Kaylee huffed.

"Martinez is a prick," I said, feeling irritated. The whole situation was stupid on many levels.

We put some clothes on, then got out of bed before dressing completely. We left to meet the others at the bakery since the manager banned me from the coffeehouse. Thanks, Mason, you schmuck.

We walked in, went to the counter, ordered coffee and breakfast, and then walked over to a table. The others arrived and placed their orders, then joined us.

Lindsey looked at Cass as Cass bit into a donut. "And you wonder why you had trouble passing the physical portion of retesting," Lindsey mentioned.

"It's not my fault I like donuts," Cass mentioned.

"Your stomach likes donuts too," Hathaway commented, making us laugh.

"I thought Asians were thin?" Lindsey asked.

"That is a stereotype. It's like saying we came from China or Japan. I've never been to either country. Plus, shouldn't Hathaway like greens?" Cass mentioned.

"Not all black people eat collard greens or soul food. Now give me a good pizza and beer, and we're talking," Hathaway replied, making us laugh.

"How's it at the station?" I asked the others.

"It sucks. Thanks to Martinez, no one can say anything without it misconstrued as racist. Even on calls, we have to worry if someone files a complaint," Lindsey answered.

"The whole situation is ridiculous. Plus, the higher-ups have us attending social diversity classes to woke us," Hathaway said, using air quotes.

"I'm sorry that all of you are dealing with this," I mentioned.

"Why? It's not like you did anything wrong. Martinez started this shit," Cass told me.

"I know, but I feel responsible," I reasoned.

"Gray, you come and do your job. With all the shit Chief Hayes threw at you, most guys would have quit. You didn't. We know you work your ass off," Lindsey told me.