Changes

Presley

It's been a few days since Eliza's funeral. I kept my distance from people. I'm returning to school and working at the station that we trained as paramedics. The chief hates me, so it doesn't matter.

I came downstairs to get some water.

"Hey, we were thinking about getting ice cream," Parker mentioned in the kitchen.

I opened the fridge door and grabbed the water.

"Ma thought it would be good to spend time with us before returning to school," Parker added.

"You go ahead," I said, walking away.

Pax stopped me on the way up to my bedroom.

"Want to catch a movie? They have a new Marvel film out," Pax offered.

"No," I answered, walking away.

Pat saw me in the hallway.

"The guys wanted to know if you wanted to hang out," Pat suggested.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because we didn't spend much time together," Pat reasoned.

"You hang out. I'm going to my bedroom," I responded, walking past Pat.

"Presley," Payton said, meeting me at my room.

I looked at Payton. "No, I don't want to do anything. Go hang with your girl since she's alive," I remarked, stunning Payton.

I went into my bedroom and closed my door. I walked over to my desk and sat down, studying for my next certification. I sat there reading when someone knocked on my door and opened it.

"I'm busy," I mumbled while reading.

"Take a break and get some ice cream," Pops said.

I looked up from my book.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because ice cream helps and your Grammy wants ice cream," Pops answered.

I looked at Pops and sighed. I got up and left my room as Pops followed me. I walked out to the car and got into the backseat, closing the door.

"I got Presley out of his bedroom," Pops told Ma.

Ma looked at Pops with concern. "Then what?" Ma asked.

"Then we help Presley and save him from drowning," Pops answered. Ma nodded.

Everyone came out, and we went to the ice cream parlor. I walked inside and sat down at a table that Grammy, Grandpa, and Nana were sitting.

"Here," Grammy said, pushing a container of ice cream towards me.

I grabbed it and looked at it. I set the ice cream down as my parents joined us. My brothers sat at another table.

"Ice cream makes everything better," Grammy said.

I looked at Grammy Pat as she smiled. I didn't smile. I didn't want to be here.

"Okay, I came. Can I go? I have to study," I said.

My parents and grandparents looked at me, mid-bite. I stood up.

"You sit down," Grammy ordered.

I looked at Grammy with irritation.

"Now," Grammy demanded.

I sat down in my seat.

"Presley, you're not the only one who lost someone they loved. We lost people, too. Grief is a terrible feeling. You're drowning in a sea of emotions, but that means that you loved the person with your whole heart," Grammy said.