Meet the new employee

Presley

After bringing Kaylee back to the house, I had to report to the station. I left Pax with Kaylee. Don't ask me why. I'm not if that's the best decision.

I showed up at the station as Cass, Lindsey, and Miller greeted me. Other people were standing around, waiting to find out what was happening.

Caleb came out of his office with a guy.

"I want everyone to meet our new paramedic, Ryker Michels," Caleb introduced us. "Ryker is joining the station from another station since we're down a few people."

"Cap, is the new guy replacing someone?" Miller asked as I furrowed my brows.

"No, Ryker isn't, but with Kaylee on medical leave and Hathaway taking vacation time, we need every help we can get. Plus, Ryker is a seasoned veteran. Gray, I need to see you in my office," Caleb said, gesturing to me.

I sighed and followed Caleb into the office. I sat down in a chair as he closed the door. He sat down at his desk.

"The higher-ups, including the acting Mayor, reviewed the current events. With everything that transpired, they're lifting your suspension," Caleb told me.

That information surprised me.

"What about the lawsuit?" I asked.

"Jaime had the lawsuit dismissed since the women that filed complaints agreed to testify. Kaylee, Hathaway, your brothers, and you still have to testify regarding the events. The higher-ups want everything by the book," Caleb informed me.

"I have no problem with that. I hate that it came down to it escalating. We help people, not hurt them," I mentioned.

"You have a few people that abuse their positions. They forget the oath we take to protect and serve as first responders. If we violate people's trust, then they won't call if they need help," Caleb explained.

"What about the Chief?" I asked.

"The Chief is cooperating, and they're reassigning him to another station. The higher-ups feel it's better than placing him back at the same station," Caleb explained.

I sat there, thinking.

"You seem baffled," Caleb mentioned.

"No, relieved that Eliza received justice for what happened. I couldn't save her, but she can get the justice that she deserves," I told Caleb.

"Presley, when I was younger, I wasn't a friendly person, but as I aged, I learned that people deserve treated with respect. I didn't want my boys to grow up and disrespect people as I did. My mom raised me better than that," Caleb told me.

"What about your dad?" I asked curiously.

"My dad had three unruly boys to raise. Grammy Gray said it was karma for what he put her through growing up," Caleb said, chuckling.

"Grammy Gray seemed loved," I mentioned.

"She was our Grammy and one of a kind, but she loved us. You can't ask for better than that," Caleb reasoned.

"I can see why," I replied.

"Okay, get out of here. I have to situate everyone and get home before my wife has my head," Caleb joked.

I nodded and got up. I left the office and walked over to Ryker.

"I'm Presley," I introduced myself, extending my hand.

Ryker shook it. "I heard a lot about you," he mentioned.

"I get that a lot. Have you been a paramedic for a while?" I asked.