Dinner with the Chief aka Dad

Presley

I picked up Kaylee, and she assured me that her dad would be on his best behavior tonight. I had my doubts. The Chief hates me, and I doubt he likes that I'm dating his daughter.

Kaylee showed me the way to her house, and I pulled into a driveway. We got out, and I sighed. I didn't have a great feeling about this evening. It could go two ways - bad or horrible because there's no in-between.

I followed Kaylee inside, and the Chief greeted her, then looked at me.

"Gray," the Chief greeted me.

"Chief Hayes," I replied. Yeah, the night was starting off swell so far.

"Kaylee, why don't you get some refreshments while Gray and I talk?" The Chief mentioned, looking at me as a father would with disapproval.

"Be nice, Dad," Kaylee warned the Chief as she went into the kitchen.

I stood there as the Chief looked at me.

"So, you're dating my daughter," the Chief mentioned.

"We're taking it slow," I answered.

"Is that so?" He questioned.

"Yeah, it is," I replied.

"I know about your reputation regarding women and seen you with Shields. I want to know how you intend to treat my daughter," the Chief said with seriousness.

"I intend to treat Kaylee with respect and care since my ma likes her. If I screw this up, then my ma will kill me," I said truthfully.

The Chief looked at me suspiciously.

"My ma didn't like Eliza but accepted her because of me. She likes Kaylee and already threatened to kick my ass if I maltreat Kaylee," I added.

The Chief said nothing, which I didn't know if it was good or bad.

"Look, I know you hate me because you think I'm lazy and sloppy. You judge me on my past I can't change. Will I ever win you over? That's doubtful, but I'm not the person I was. That person died the day Eliza died," I told the Chief.

"Death changes people," the Chief said, confusing me.

I didn't know where this conversation was going.

"You aren't the person you were, and it becomes a new normal for you," the Chief added.

"I never understood loss until Eliza died. It felt like my world shattered," I whispered. I didn't know why I was telling the Chief this. He looked at me curiously. "I figure God was punishing me for my past, saying you can suffer with how you treated women. I thought if I kept my distance from women, then God could quit punishing me."

"When my wife died, I thought my world ended, but I had two children to consider. I focused on them. When David died, I didn't want a parent to suffer the way I did. Losing a wife is difficult, but losing a child is devastating. I watched paramedics and firefighters risk their lives every day while their loved ones wait to see if they come home. There's nothing worse than notifying a family to inform them that their child, husband, or father died doing what they love," the Chief explained.

I furrowed my brows.

"I didn't want to tell your family that you died doing what you love because of someone else's careless behavior," the Chief added, shocking me.

"Did you know about what I did with Eliza?" I asked.

"I suspected, but I needed proof. I monitored both of you and saw the differences. The reports didn't match. That's why I was angry with you. You protected someone who made mistakes and could cost you your life," the Chief said, surprising me.