Crazy doesn't even cover it

Presley

Caleb made us test again for our certification. The testing would last three weeks. We had to go through a physical, mental, and written test to keep us current. I didn't mind since it refreshed everything I learned since I became a paramedic.

Nora started dating Drake. Most people would consider that a good thing that Nora isn't pining over my cousin. Nora isn't most people, and neither were we. Have you met my family? Crazy doesn't even cover the shit we pull.

Did I mention my brothers are up to something? The better question is when aren't they up to something?

Nora and I hung out during my break from testing and classes. I needed a breather from my brothers, and she needed a breather from Drake. We sat in the coffee shop, drinking coffee and talking.

"How's it going with lover boy?" I asked, sipping my coffee.

"I don't know. How's it going with Kaylee?" Nora questioned, changing the subject.

I lowered my cup and looked at Nora. "Kaylee and I are partners," I replied.

"Partners turn into friendship, then become lovers," Nora retorted.

"You sound like my family," I mentioned.

Nora shrugged as the bell chimed, and Kaylee entered the coffee shop. She walked over and sat down at the table with us.

"I thought you were doing the physical portion of the test today?" I asked Kaylee.

"Captain Gray scheduled me, but Cass had an issue," Kaylee mentioned.

"What issue?" I asked.

"Oh, thirty pounds, give or take," Kaylee answered, making me chuckled, and Nora giggled.

"I told Cass to lie off the donuts," I mentioned.

"Yeah, the crew was regretting going out last night. Testing with a hangover must truly suck," Kaylee remarked.

That made us laugh more. Kaylee looked at Nora.

"How's it going with Drake?" Kaylee asked.

"Well, it's going," Nora answered.

Kaylee and I looked at each other, then looked at Nora.

"As in, you're taking it slow or not at all?" Kaylee asked.

"As in, I'm testing the waters with my toe," Nora mentioned.

"Pinky toe doesn't count," I retorted.

Nora gave me a look, and I shrugged. The three of us talked as two of my brothers found us in the coffee shop. Now, you would think my brothers would let nature take its course. No, that would be simple. I was perfectly fine, avoiding my feelings and Kaylee. We'll revisit that in a moment.

Pat and Pax walked in and over to our table, then joined us. Nora and Kaylee stared at Pax.

"What? Haven't you seen a guy with a shaved head?" Pax asked, unamused.

"Why would you shave your head?" Kaylee asked.

"I didn't. Parker did," Pax grumbled.

"Only because you shoved ice cream down Park's drawers," Pat reminded Pax.

"Semantics," Pax said, shrugging.

"Okay, what do you both want?" I asked.

"Who says we want anything?" Pat asked.

I saw Pax look around as if a fly distracted him. Anytime my brothers were up to something, Pax acted distracted. Did I mention Pax couldn't lie?

Pat elbowed Pax, whose head snapped, looking at us. "What?" Pax asked us. "Why are you looking at me like that? Do I have something on my face? Well, bye," Pax said, getting up and leaving.