Revisiting the past

Marshall

I called Kain and Kaiden, telling them both that I needed to talk to them. They wanted to know why, but I said it needed discussing in person. You don't discuss a past situation like what happened to Kaiden over the phone.

Brody and I met Kaiden and Kain at a diner since neither of us ate yet. Ma and my wife would hurt me if I didn't eat. The job doesn't always give you a chance to eat, especially when working on a case.

I pulled into a diner, and we got out, making our way inside to see Frick and Frack sitting at a booth. We walked over, and I slid in next to Kain while Brody sat next to Kaiden. I ordered some food, as did Brody.

"What is so important that you needed to speak to us in person?" Kain asked as Kaiden looked at us.

"It's about Kaiden's assault," I answered.

Kaiden furrowed his brows as Kain pressed his lips together.

"When you went to file a complaint against your ex, the police said you had no proof," I told Kaiden.

Kaiden rubbed the side of his face and mouth.

"How did you produce pictures when you waited to report the assault?" I questioned Kaiden.

The server brought our food, then left. Kaiden sat there, saying nothing. I knew it was difficult for Kaiden to discuss, considering I almost beat his ex to death.

"The pictures were me," Kain confessed.

Brody and I looked at Kain with confusion as Kaiden stayed quiet.

"I wanted to help Kaiden, and since we look identical, it wasn't difficult," Kain said.

"How the hell did you get someone to beat the hell out of you?" Brody asked curiously.

"When you hang out with a quint, it's easy to piss off the sisters," Kain reasoned, making us chuckled. "I had Lex call his sisters and tell them a bunch of shit that I said. They didn't appreciate the comments and visited me."

I looked at Kain, then looked at Kaiden. I know how much it affects you when someone hurts your twin. I couldn't imagine someone harming Murphy.

"Are you okay?" I asked Kaiden.

"It was a time in my life that I chose not to remember. People believe a woman when a man sexually assaults her, but they don't question it when it happens to a guy. I mean, who would believe a guy sexually assaulted a Gray boy?" Kaiden asked as we looked at him with concern.

"It doesn't matter if no one believed it. I would have believed it," Kain told Kaiden.

"So would your parents," Brody mentioned. We looked at Brody. "Uncle Nixon might be a lot of things, but he loves you both, and so does your Ma."

"Yeah, Dad hated that I wouldn't talk to him. Do you know he promised me not to tease my ex or make jokes if I would come to dinner?" Kaiden asked us. "Dad didn't even call me Frick."

"Many people underestimate the old man, but he hated not seeing Kaiden," Kain added.

"I remember when Dad called me and told me what happened. I saw red. I'm the oldest of the cousins, and someone hurt the family. That's what made me become a cop," I admitted.

Kaiden looked at me with surprise.

"I knew I couldn't go around and beat up people, but I could help people get the justice they deserve," I explained.

"Did you hear about the lawsuit against Parker and Presley?" Kain mentioned.

"What lawsuit?" I asked.