Miscommunication

Matthew

I thought about what Presley said at Christmas. I came downstairs after showering to see Dad cooking. I walked over to the baking sheet and snatched a pepperoni from the uncooked pizza.

Dad gave me a look. "Do you mind?" He asked.

"Nope," I said, smiling, then walking to the fridge. I opened the door and grabbed a bottled water from it, then closed it. Ma came into the house from the back door, carrying bags.

Dad looked at Ma strangely. "Did you buy the entire store?" He asked.

"No, but I kept finding things that look good," Ma answered, grinning.

"Lyric, I can't let you loose in a story, or you buy things we don't need," Dad said.

"Hey, we need Oreos," Ma informed Dad, pulling a pack of Oreos. I chuckled.

"Says you," Dad said, putting the pizza into the oven.

"Oreos are the bomb, and so are Pinwheels. Not sure what this cookie is," Ma said, looking at the package.

"Keebler's version of Samoas," I said.

"Well, my little dealers aren't out, and I need my fix," Ma said, shrugging.

Dad and I chuckled. Ma was a nut with cookies. Grocery shopping was a trip when I was growing up.

"So, Lark is going to see Markus this weekend, and I'm going with her to see Lex's boys. Are you up for a road trip and mother-son bonding?" Ma asked grinning.

Dad gave me a "go" look.

"Yeah," I said.

"Woohoo! We're taking a road trip!" Ma yelled excitedly, jumping up and down and clapping. I chuckled.

"Well, if you and Lark are going to see the boys, I'll see if Maverick wants to hang out," Dad mentioned.

"Yeah, because he cries when Lark leaves for a few days," Ma mentioned. Dad rolled his eyes.

Ma went to call Aunt Larkin, and I thought about what I would do there when we arrived.

"You agreeing to go with your Ma wouldn't have something to do with a particular girl, would it?" Dad asked, leaning on the counter.

I shrugged.

"Matthew, I know you have feelings for this girl, but be careful," Dad advised.

"Nora's brother advised me to give her space, so I did. Presley mentioned Nora wasn't seeing anyone. It doesn't hurt to check on her," I reasoned.

Dad gave me a knowing look. All I wanted to do is make sure Nora was okay. If I said hi, then so be it.

Nora

I learned a lot this year. Dating sucks because I end up with some guy who's a yutz. I gave dating a break and focused on school and work.

I visited Kaylee in the hospital. After seeing what that guy did to her, I realized that I was better off single. I didn't understand that mentality.

In class, the professor assigned us partners. My partner seemed crazy. Who am I kidding? The guy is nuts but in the right way.

"We could do a project on food," Elias exclaimed, snapping his fingers.

"Why food?" I questioned.

"Because everyone likes food, duh," Elias said, shrugging.

"Yeah, that's a good reason to do a project," I mentioned, rolling my eyes.