A new normal

Presley

After hanging out with Nora, I walked around town. I needed space and a chance to breathe. I stopped at a window and looked at the items in the shop. I turned to see Pax standing next to me.

"Did Pops send you to make sure I didn't do something stupid?" I asked.

"Nope, I'm escaping a lecture which I had a lot of my first year at school," Pax mentioned.

I looked at my brother, who looked at me. If anyone understands drowning in emotions, it's Pax.

"How bad was it?" I asked.

"Well, I screwed up a lot and landed in the hospital. I thought Shaun would never love me. It's still a struggle," Pax answered.

"You seem happy," I mentioned.

"Yeah, but we have our issues. All couples have issues," Pax reminded me.

We started walking.

"Eliza and I had issues," I mentioned as we walked. "We started as friends, then dated after she broke it off with this tool at school. But she let her insecurity of my reputation cause issues."

"Yeah, I noticed," Pax said.

"So did our brothers. All I wanted was to make Eliza happy," I replied.

Pax stopped me. "Pres, when you wanted to make Eliza happy, who was making you happy?" He asked curiously.

I furrowed my brows.

"It can't be a one-way street with a couple. When Eliza questioned everything you did, did she ever ask if you were happy?" Pax questioned.

I thought about it. "No," I mumbled.

"Eliza didn't trust you. If she did, she wouldn't have run into that burning building. We're Grays, it takes a lot to knock us down, but we always get back up," Pax reminded me.

I looked at my brother. "Why do we always fight? I never understood what I did that made you hate me," I mentioned.

"I don't hate you. I never did. Brothers fight and annoy each other, but I would never hate you. You're my brother," Pax said with a shrug.

"We're having a moment, aren't we?" I questioned with a look.

"Yeah, but you don't get used to it," Pax reminded me, making me chuckled. "Presley, we want you to be happy. If that takes time, then so be it."

"Now, I want to focus on my who I am," I mentioned.

Pax agreed, and we went back to the house. I visited with Grandpa, Nixon, and Pops. It was nice to talk without discussing Eliza's death. Did it mean I wasn't still grieving? No, but it was getting better.

Later that evening, my brothers and their significant others dragged me out to a pub that included dancing. I swear my family felt the need to make me socialize.

We walked in, and my brothers moved tables together as we sat down at one. Everyone was talking and laughing as I sat there, sipping my drink quietly.

Music played, and everyone got up to dance except for Pax and Shaun. They thought they would hang with me. I sipped my drink as I sat there watching people dance, then I noticed Kaylee on the dance floor.

Pax looked at me, then saw what I was looking at in the pub. "Why don't you join her?" Pax asked over the music.

I looked at Pax. "I'm good sitting right here," I yelled.

"Suit yourself. Come on, Shaun," Pax said, getting up and walking to the dance floor. Shaun followed.

I watch my brothers and their girlfriends and my boyfriend dance with them. Did you ever feel like the ninth wheel? That's how I felt. I sat at the table alone.