Expect the unexpected

Kaylee

I went back to the station and to find some reports along with reprimands. I wanted to find out information before I talked to Dad. I didn't even care if I overstepped my boundaries. What Dad was doing to Presley was wrong.

I entered the station and saw a rig gone. I went to Dad's office and entered, closing and locking the door. I turned on the light, opened a file cabinet, and pulled files with Gray's name listed on them. When I found Eliza's last name, I pulled the reports and compared them. Then I saw it. The different handwriting and it looked like someone whited out the information before changing the information.

Then I pulled Martinez's file. I opened it to find a lot of complaints about his inappropriate behavior. I looked for Lindsey's record and removed it, finding a statement about catching Martinez and Eliza misbehaving. I stood there, shaking my head. I can't believe Dad would cover this up.

I heard the door handle; then the door opened as Dad saw me looking at the files.

"Kaylee? What are you doing?" Dad questioned, confused.

I turned and looked at Dad. "I looked at reports that Gray filled out along with Eliza. The writing doesn't match," I told Dad.

He walked over and closed the files. "Your, my daughter, but it doesn't give you access to employee reports," Dad informed me.

"No, because then you would have to explain the coverup that you're committing," I accused my dad.

"Careful, you're treading on thin ice," Dad warned.

"David told me that when something wasn't right to take a stand. When you stand back, it's equally bad, if not worse. Gray is a great paramedic. He covered for the wrong person. One who didn't deserve his help," I told my dad.

Dad looked at me.

"You taught us that lying could hurt others. If you expect to lie, then this station isn't the right fit for me," I informed my dad.

"You would sacrifice your career for someone you barely know?" My dad questioned with a tone I knew too well.

I remember what David told me, growing up. Kaylee, you don't allow someone to force you to make a decision that isn't right. It's better to stand for what's right then agree, even if that means standing alone.

"Yes," I answered, turning and leaving Dad's office. I know the others told me not to tell Presley what I found out, but it wasn't right to stay quiet.

When I looked at Presley's files, I saw his address. I made my way to the house and walked up onto the porch, then knocked. I waited as someone walked up.

"Can we help you?" Someone asked.

I turned to see two guys that looked similar. I walked down the steps towards them. "I'm looking for Presley," I mentioned.

"Hey, you're that chick he was dancing with at the pub," one guy said, snapping his fingers and pointing at me.

"Kaylee," I introduced myself.

"I'm Pat, and that's Pax," Pat introduced each of them.

Pax waved at me with his arms crossed and smiling.

"Presley isn't here. He went to meet Nora," Pat mentioned.

"I needed to talk to Presley about work. There's an issue," I explained.

"Do you mean it's about Presley's suspension for hitting some douche?" Pax asked with a look.

"That would be it, but there's another issue and involves his girlfriend, my dad, and said douche," I replied, sighing.